Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Language you speak or sign?

I came, I saw, I conquered killergamer's Avatar

Default Language you speak or sign?

I'm currently learning American Sign Language and my first language is English (US) version. I was wondering what different languages you speak or sign? I love learning sign language and think it would be cool to be an interpreter.
    [Kayin] 7:38 pm: Actually, during a hostile takeover, Satan's left nut and all his crabs beat Satan at the board meeting (he didn't know that his crabs held stock)
    and so we're owned by a conglomerate of pubic lice and the left testicle of the Prince of the Powers of the Air.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Language you speak or sign?

My first language is English (CA ), and I don't really speak anything else as of yet (at least not with complete fluency).

I was forced to learn French when I was younger (like how everyone in Canada is), but unfortunately due to a long line really crappy French teachers, I didn't learn much. I had a really good French teacher in grade 9 and wanted to continue with it, but I was unable to take it in grade 10 because it was full (really stupid...).

Now that I'm in university, I started taking German for fun. It's a pretty cool language, aside from the kind of pointless/redundant grammar rules (why do adjectives need an ending reflecting their gender and case when they're already preceded by their article that does that?!) :p.

Eventually I want to try learning Russian just for fun. I figure if I try learning a really hard language, then it can only get easier from their with others .

English (US) fairly well and I'm working on spanish and can carry on a simple conversation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

English

Took Spanish and German for 2 years each in high school remember about 10% of the German.

Took an additional 2 semesters of Spanish in college where we were told to forget everything we learned in high school and start from scratch. Only remember about 30% of it now I guess.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

English. However, I can cuss up a storm in both German and Spanish. I also know enough basic Spanish to guarantee I will stay drunk if I ever go to Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Mas Tequila amigo!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Mas Tequila amigo!
    Uno Mas Cervesa, por favor, gracias!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

English (US), less Spanish than I used to know..., and small bits of Japanese vocab/grammar/etc mainly picked up from anime/manga. Oh, and sometimes Java...I know several other programming languages, but that's the only one that I've ever actually held a conversation in (Hurray for bored geeks )

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    Uno Mas Cervesa, por favor, gracias!
    No no no senior, tres mas Tequilas por favor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Fluent in English and Latin, and know Greek (Attic and Koine, with some Homeric in for good measure) and Hebrew, as well as a smattering of Aramaic, Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Nihongo (spoken Japanese) and Scots Gaelic. Some of those were requirements for my major, I then added the linguistics minor and once you know enough Latin, you know the Romance languages, or can figure them out from their cognates.

Before you call me an overachiever, Greek and Latin were required in high school at the turn of the century (1900s) and all were expected to have at least a passing familiarity with them. Most of the world is multilingual, why can't I be.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08