Thread: Need Wireless-N router suggestions

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Need Wireless-N router suggestions

I've been reading a lot of reviews on a lot of routers, and it seems every single one has issues not working, dropping connections, etc etc. I've got a Westell DSL modem/router now. Its only G, and both my USB dongle and the PCI card in the wifes new rig are N, so I want to add in an N-router to the current westell one. Any suggestions on what works best? My USB dongle is a Belkin unit, and her PCI card is a new Linksys WMP110. The router is in my parents house and we're in an apartment attatched to it. My rig gets 2 bars on a good day, but thats wth a 6-foot USB extension cable as well. I want to upgrade to an N unit for the extra range. Any help is appreciated. thanks!!

Will

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Need Wireless-N router suggestions

You should check to make sure you have true Wireless-N adapters. You won't see hardly any benefit as far as distance goes with Draft-N, which operates on the 2.4GHz band. However, true Wireless-N operates on the 5GHz band. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Maybe somebody else can confirm.

I'd say steer clear of anything Linksys as ever since they've been acquired by Cisco they've gone down hill quite a bit. The old Linksys products are still great, however I don't think there are any original's with wireless-n.

This is a great router, however it's pretty expensive. But you'd see even more improvement over standard N if you paired it with a rangemax adapter.

But yeah, anyways, just make sure you have 5GHz Wireless-N with your adapters or you'll have to upgrade those too to see a real difference. Then of course make sure the router you buy is also 5GHz Wireless-N.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

thanks for the info!

Dlink has never steered me wrong in the wireless-g category, athough I am not sure about their later stuff. I would also like to find me an N router.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER