Thread: RAID drives missing

Default RAID drives missing

Hello everybody,

I have a quick question about RAID volumes, and forgive me but I'm a total noob when it comes to RAID.

I originally had a 1.5TB drive with everything, then I installed two 750GB drives in raid0 which worked fine. Both the raid0 array and the 1.5TB storage drive showed up in windows explorer as discreet drives. But then I installed two 500GB drives in a raid1 array (set up through the Intel Matrix raid driver like the other array) so that I could have mirrored copies for my more important files. However, this new array does not show up in window explorer. When I first boot to windows 7 desktop there is a message from the taskbar stating that data protection is enabled and functioning properly and when I click it it opens up the Intel software which shows all my drives as they were set up. Yet still no drive volume in explorer. In the way I have this set up, is this new array just mirroring my other array?

By the way, the OS is on the two 750GB drives in raid0
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: RAID drives missing

On board RAID or a separate card? I'm thinking you can't duplex (if that's the term I am looking for) off of one source.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Try going: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage

It most likely just needs to be formatted for windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    Try going: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage

It most likely just needs to be formatted for windows.
    Yep, that was it. It never occurred to me because I didn't need to do this for any of the other drives. Thanks!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

That'll be infinity REP please jk
    Glad it worked for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Yep, that was it. It never occurred to me because I didn't need to do this for any of the other drives. Thanks!
    That would be because Windows, in all its randomness decides to format the OS drive before install

I had the same problem when I first put my RAID together. I went through checking the drives one by one, looking in the RAID setup program in BIOS, everything. But because it wasnt my OS drive, Windows had no idea. They should add a message or something "Hey, I've noticed you have a massive drive sitting here unformatted and unused. Maybe you would like to use it?"
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0