Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 video card issues

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Windows 7 video card issues

Alright, I bought a new Diamond Radeon Stealth s120 AGP 256mb card for the wifes computer (rockin case) to replace the PNY GeForce FX5200 128mb that was in there.

Now the issue: the CD that came with the card says the software wont work with win 7. I tried going to Diamonds website to get an updated catalyst software and it tells me that the hardware I have wont work with it. because of this windows recognizes it as a "generic VGA adapter" and I cant set the resolution to what it needs to be to fit the new 21.5" widescreen monitor. It lets me do 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024. I know this card will handle up to 1080p and the monitor will as well. its really buggin my eyes out looking at everything stretched lol.

I've installed the monitor drivers. I've tried updating the card driver but windows says its the best one already. I've tried uninstalling it and rebooting and letting it find a different one, still no go. Any ideas?

Default Re: Windows 7 video card issues

hmm. maybe search for 3rd party drivers that are win7 compatible? sometimes with older cards you can get lucky that way. sometimes not though. I had a voodoo5 that was dropped by Nvidia when they bought out 3dfx and the 3rd party drivers for direct x 9 were ****ty. never really worked. maybe you will have better luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

good idea, I'm going to look around and see what I can find. I know this card supports direct x 9.0, but in the windows issue center it says it doesnt. GRRR WTF. maybe I'll jsut give her my 17" STD monitor and take the 21.5" widescreen for myself. I know my 3870x2 will run it lol

THE GAME IS ON! Take your graphics performance to the next level with the Stealth S120 Graphics Accelerator Card from Diamond Multimedia Explore stunning new worlds of cinematic gameplay with the Stealth® S120 graphics accelerator card, featuring ATI Radeon 9550 graphics technology! The Stealth® S120 delivers an unprecedented combination of power, performance, and Microsoft® DirectX® 9 optimized support for the serious gamer. The Stealth S120’s Quad-pipe architecture and high precision shaders will maximize your long-term entertainment value, pushing the most compelling next-generation games to their limit!

Vista drivers might work for you.. see if those are available.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

they are, I tried already. they're not compatible with Win 7. the CD that comes with the card actually is for xp/vista, and it says its "not compatible with this operating system"

There is no Win7 support for that card, and there is no ATi driver for it anymore. It has been relegated to legacy.

As an aside, it supports DX9 kinda like I pick up freight-push it a bit too far and my arm pops off. It's a slap in the face of DX9 to call that DX9. 9550 is an OCed 9400. That simple.

There are still some decent PCI cards on the Egg, and I think there's some 3450s or some odd that would do the job and still have support.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

there are drivers for it, they're listed right here on diamonds website under support. They're Vista drivers, and the card was just relegated to legacy this past June.

I'll see if I can return it to Staples then, I just bought it yesterday. GRRR. I need to find a good AGP card then. I cant afford to spend a ton of $ to get a new MB, CPU, RAM, PSU etc just to run a nicer card and W7 on widescreen. I found a few 3rd party drivers for it, so I'll try those tonight. If not maybe I'll just swap her my standard 17" for her widescreen until we get $ for a new setup.

Its stupid that it doesnt work. A brand new video card that I cant even use. If Staples doesnt let me return it I'm going to be pissed

Straight from ATI Website:

"Note: AMD’s DirectX 9 ATI Radeon graphics accelerators are not officially supported under Windows 7. If the user chooses to, they can install the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista graphics driver under Windows 7. Please be aware that none of the new Windows 7 graphics driver (WDDM 1.1) features are supported (as the Windows Vista level graphics driver is limited to WDDM 1.0 level support). Using the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista driver under Windows 7 is not officially supported by AMD, and as such AMD will not provide any form of customer support for users running in this configuration"

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

this one looks like a nice replacement, only $20 more than I paid for the 9550

:EDIT: actually it wont, the PSU I have isnt big enough, and I'm not puttin gsomethign else in it. WTF. MS pisses me off sometimes. One of hte big things with Win7 was that it runs with older computers better than Vista. Sure it runs fine, but I cant use my widescreen monitor without wanting to throw up every 15 minutes from everything being stretched. WTF

So what was wrong with the 5200 that you took out?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/