Thread: Round and round I go, where I stop, nobody knows...

Default Round and round I go, where I stop, nobody knows...

Think of this scenario, Microsoft announces that you'll be able to get a free windows 7 upgrade if you buy a computer after the 26th of June. Your sister wanting a computer before the end of the financial year, gets you to make her one after the 26th of June but before the financial year's end. You get all the parts for her including a motherboard, case, PSU, CPU, RAM, GPU and HDDs. You also get a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate OEM with it and it's bought and assembled on the 29th of June. You then place an order for the free Windows 7 upgrade on the 6th of July and wait for it to arrive.

Fast forward to December, nothing has happened and you can't work out why. So you start following up... and here is where my fun began:

3PM: Called 13 20 58 (From http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...grade-faq.aspx)
    Well naturally I call the number on the website we signed upto. Took a little while to get someone. The guy is friendly enough but he's convincing me I should have got an offer code and I've signed upto the wrong site. So I go to the site, very annoyed because I don't have this code.

4PM: Called 1800 762 925 (From https://windows7upgradeoption.com/Landing.aspx)
    Because I don't have a code, I decided to call them up. I notice that the call centre is based in the US due to the accent of the menu. After explaining (and debating) the situation (and being quite frustrated with the situation), I'm told I did originally go through the right site and I'm given an American number (Note, this is important ;P) to call.

4:30PM: Called +1 877 696 7786 (From the friendly lady who I last spoke to)
    "The Microsoft Store is closed. Please call back between 8AM and 6PM EST."

1AM: Called +1 877 696 7786
    After having problems doing menu selection (problem with my phone I think, will need to look into it) I get to an operator who tells me that I'm breaking up a bit (whoops, my computer is syncing and I'm calling via VoIP, stopped the syncing). I then proceed to explain the situation and give him the order number and the email address we used (I believe he was having trouble understanding what I was saying!), but when I said .com.au, he paused and asked if I was calling from Australia, which I was. Then I got this:
    "I'm sorry sir, but we cannot help you since we only deal with customers from the United States"
    Damn.... oh well, he offers me the Australian Microsoft Store's number and apologises that he can't help.

1:15AM Called +61 2 9870 2200
    "For all other enquires, please call between Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM AEST."

So here I am currently, still uncertain whether my sister will be getting the free Windows 7 upgrade... I'm a touched annoyed with it though... and I'm half laughing at it all.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Default Re: Round and round I go, where I stop, nobody knows...

A good sense of humor IS required when dealing with Microsoft.

Be patient. I have heard similar stories, but they all ended up with the free upgrade.

Good luck.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    A good sense of humour IS required when dealing with Microsoft.

Be patient. I have heard similar stories, but they all ended up with the free upgrade.

Good luck.
    Luck isn't what I need, sanity (and a truck load of money) is what I need!

I can be patient, but I may strategically be a little aggressive in 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Luck isn't what I need, sanity (and a truck load of money) is what I need!
    Sanity? When dealing with Microsoft? And don't we all need a truck load of money. Hope it all work out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lol

UPDATE!

12:20PM: Called +61 2 9870 2200
    I'm back, and I'm more irritated. What? So you're telling me your call centre in America gave us incorrect information? Can I please talk to your supervisor? Thanks. De-do-do. So this is the situation, no I didn't get a bloody offer form. So you're telling me that because I didn't get this offer code, I'm automatically not able to get a free windows 7 upgrade? Even though your offer states if you buy a NEW computer with a copy of Windows VISTA, you can get a free upgrade to windows 7, providing it's after June 26th. So you'd love to help me but you don't have a offer code to give me, that's useful, but that's not what I'm phoning up about. Do I want to file a complaint? Damn straight I do. Do-de-do... Yes I'm filing a complaint, anything I'd like to mention. How about mentioning I purchased the computer on the 29th. Where did I find out about the windows 7 upgrade offer? I found out when it was announced on the windows blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...ing-on-ga.aspx). What was the order number I was given, kinda funny since it's the first time it's been asked for... and we did that on the 6th of July. You want the product key for Vista, here you go. Don't you want my contact details? Good, here's my mobile number. I'll try to have a good day, but so far I haven't heard the words "I'm sorry sir, we'll see what we can do for you".

To say the least, I'm a touched PISSED OFF! I'm going to wait until January 7th, and if I haven't heard ANYTHING back, I'll be contacting the consumer's affair's bureau to escalate it higher still. Now excuse me, I'm going to make some tea by putting a pot of water on my head. You're welcome to join me if you can get here in 2 minutes, the pot should be boiling by then.

Dude, I hate M$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I don't hate M$, I just hate it when they have a promotion and have as many terms and conditions possible to try to make it so you can't get a free Windows 7 upgrade.