Thread: Saitek Keyboard

Fresh Paint

Default Saitek Keyboard

I just recently purchased the Saitek Eclipse keyboard and I love the way it feels and looks.. Or atleast for the first week I loved the way it looked.. Now I am beginning to realize just how much I hate the color blue. (Im a Dawgs Fan).
    Has anyone attempted to open one of these up and change the colored LEDs yet? I popped a few keys off last night and I looks like each key has its own led, plus the lights have a High, Low, and off seetting.. So what I am asking is it might be possible for me to change the color that the keyboard emits.. I have no problem sautering and de-sautering I jsut dont wantt o go ripping my keyboard apart and realize that it was never even an option from the begining...

Default Re: Saitek Keyboard

Theoretically you should just be able to replace each LED without too much worry. E-mail someone at Saitek and ask them what sort of LED's they use, they'll probably moan about breaking warranty then tell you anyway. ( i was surprised when a company, when i looked for new firmware updates, directed me to a 3rd party product because they admitted that since it was better they had given up )

Should be able to just de-solder the old LED's and solder in the new ones. If you know about soldering then i'll assume i don't need to tell you that those LED's only go in one way

Good luck

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Fresh Paint

Haha just my luck, after posting this, checking their site, emailing them, fighting with my mail server, and finally getting the email to go through.. I found that they actually released a red and black keyboard... same price.. Great.. oh well, looks like I will ahve to do more than just change the color * Ponders more mods *

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Saitek Representative
    I’ll ask for you but the engineers are always funny about giving hardware specs out – I’m usually run out of the office!! – but you never know…
    Haha after asking for the details on the keyboard I bought this was the one line response I recieved within 12 hours! Not too shabby.. More than I expected... Props for Saitek.. Atleast you get a response

Fresh Paint

Funnily enough I changed the LEDs in mine and then a week after I found out about the red kb, its a fairly easy process so long as you arent afraid of SMDs or very very thin circuitry

Fresh Paint

how does the red look? and does the dimmer still work?

Fresh Paint

Dimmer still works, its a seperate assembly... Red seems a bit darker at first but you get used to it.. its all in the wavelenghts