Thread: Exposing the Power

ATX Mental Case

Default Exposing the Power

I'm was tinkering with my latest project last night and have decided to use the PSU that came with the case (380watt) and place it down below the HDD rack. My only problem is that I don't know if the PSU can be left exposed or not. My worry is with the amount of current that passes through it when compared the the other tiems inside the case. Will this create problems? (Having it exposed, like a video card or mobo)

Default Re: Exposing the Power

If you mean leaving the cover off, then I would say that there is a deffinate potential for bad things to happen. The power that goes through the PSU is deffinately dangerous. Also consider the amount of heat that it generates. Pumping that heat directly into the case would not be a bad thing.

A possible solution would be to replace the standard metal PSU case with a plexi window. Still would have some radiating heat from the case, but would have that anyway. Just remember that if it is at the bottom of the case, the heat rises. With some thought into additional cooling, I think the clear PSU box would work ok. There are numerous how-to's on this if you look a bit. Just be careful, that same power could hurt you too. Let us know how it turns out and good luck
    ***Impossible means it will just take more time***

I dont think it will cause any interference but if anything fell into it or you got your fingers in there by accident.. POW you would know it.. heh

ATX Mental Case

Yeah, I always shut off my system before I open the side panel. That's just good practice.

Rock makes a very good point though. I think what I'll do is some sort of strange compromise. I'll cover the PSU in mesh? That would protect it from larger things falling into it.

heh heh, I just re-read my previous post... I said that pumping the heat into the case would NOT be a bad thing... I actually meant that it would be. Sorry about that.

The mesh would deffinately help avoid bits and fingers ending up inside, but the heat may still be a concern. Still probably do-able, just have to take that into consideration.

Also, please remember that your PSU has capacitors in it, which can hold electricity for quite a while even when it is unplugged. I have heard that it can be held for several hours, but don't quite have the "you-know-whats" to test that myself.

I can see it now... "Ok, it's been 30 minutes. Stick your finger in there. POW! OWW! ... yep, still there after 30 min. We'll try again after an hour" lol anyone want to help me test it? I can record results, you can be the electircity "probe" :p

Then again, maybe a multimeter would be a better route to take.
    ***Impossible means it will just take more time***

Anodized

I have heard of xapacitors holding charges for up to 2 hrs (a veary strange friend of min in midle school would charge them with a 9 volt and discharge them on the metal of the desk to make sparks) ANYWAYS something ive never tested but have been told is that if u turn your computer off and unplug it then hit the power switch it will discharge them
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

Capacitors can hold charge for a long time. But the charge they hold won't be enough to cause you any damage. This is a possibility, although you will want to think about cooling the PSU, and doing something to help keep it protected from accidental damage.

How are you going to get the Power cable to the PSU? The way i see it, you have 3 choices, none of which work for me:
    1) Power cable in the front-would look poor
    2) Power cable going through the computer, plugging in as normal-looks amateurish
    3) Connecting a power input to the back of the case, and running the wires across the case somehow. Dangerous chance of letting an electrical current come into contact with the case, which never mind the computer, would be highly hazardous to anyone going near it. If say, a cable came loose and toushed your case, it's equivalent to plugging a fork into the wall socket. This might even cause your Monitor, printer, anything else plugged in to get the full force of your wall voltage accidentally, which might fry your wires and devices like some metaphor i can't think off cos i'm worried i'm too late and you've fried yourself allready. Don't forget to EARTH your case, amongst other things, and if you do go through with this, i can't describe how important it is to insulate your wires properly. Be careful with this one.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!