Thread: Tutorial: How to install Windows 7 on a netbook.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Tutorial: How to install Windows 7 on a netbook.

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=441]Tutorial: How to install Windows 7 on a netbook. [/drupal]

Are you the proud owner of a linux or XP based netbook and wondering if you can get Windows 7 on there instead? Most netbooks simply didn't have the raw speed to run Vista well, but with the lower requirements of Windows 7, the rules have changed. I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Acer Aspire One A150 netbook (1GB RAM Upgrade), and this guide will take you through the fairly simple steps for you to do the same with your preferred netbook. More here...
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 12-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Default Re: Tutorial: How to install Windows 7 on a netbook.

Great write up!

Looks like Microsoft has been thinking along the same lines...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...l#xtor=RSS-181

They just released a tool to do this as well.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Heh - well it was only a matter of time - you can't ignore the fact that a lot of netbooks are being sold and it's a hell of a market share to ignore...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Overclocked

Well I have done this several times on my Samsung NC10 when the Beta first came out, and then again when the RC came out. Easy enough to do, although I fear there is a different method when it comes to XP, as something is missing from it compared with Vista or Win 7. I think Diskpart isn't included in XP. Only a simple matter of formatting the drive another way, for which there are several programs, including the XP Disk Management software.

My external HDD is now a Win 7 installer drive, with a seperate partition for storing normal files on it. Why waste 120GB for only 2.4GB of installation files?

Also, another good idea is to have the setup installers for your favorite programs on it, so if you ever need to reinstall Win 7, they are already there and you dont need to re-download them or find the disks or whatever.

And I would definatly reccomend using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on it, even on netbooks. It is faster than anything I've used on Win 7, and definatly helps on netbooks with limited power. Granted, my NC10 is running 2GB of memory, which was installed before I turned it on for the first time, so I can't compare it with 1GB of performance

Personally XP was too clunky for a netbook. And Vista would have been impossible to do anything with, as it would drain the battery and kill the performance Win 7 is definatly the best Windows OS for any PC
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

I too had a similar problem with my 8gb memory card only showing onoy 900mb.

i followed the steps as mentioned and i was returned a error while the formatting

https://picasaweb.google.com/1097950...eat=directlink

Fortunately it asked for formate in windows as soon as my DOS stoped working .

After the Quick format in windows now it show full capacity ..

This trick work like charm, Thanks to slave convention.