Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops Mouse Mod

ATX Mental Case

Default Cyclops Mouse Mod

Now that Project: Elcucu is finished i thought i would take a crack at a mouse mod. Nothing new and inspiring, just another mouse mod. I had this 5 button optical mouse just lying around collecting dust so why not give it a shot.

Polystyrene strips, fan, and mouse

Mouse stripped

stuff in the way

that's better

prepped, sanded, and ready for teeth

teeth

jaw

workin the skull

damn side buttons, oh well

and what i'm left with for now

Still needs plenty of shaping and gonna start the bondo work soon. The fan was to big to clear so i'm gonna have to pick up something a bit smaller. I was gonna make it a normal skull but then it would have this line going down it's face for the buttons and scroll so i thought a cyclops would be more appropriate. I've never used polystyrene before and i'm ammazed at how eazy it is to flex and shape. Well that's it for now... i'll get to work on it tomorrow... maybe:p.

"What the deuce?"..Stewy Griffon

Default Re: Cyclops Mouse Mod

lol, thats lookin sweet. I can just imagine a little kid getting freaked out about the mouse biting its hand.

Hey, that's pretty cool and very creative work with the polystyrene. Great job so far!
    Jon

Rankenphile

Hahahaha, that's awesome!

Nice work. How long did it take you to get that far?

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    Hahahaha, that's awesome!

Nice work. How long did it take you to get that far?
    about 1 hour. that stuff is really easy to work with. heats up fast to bend, easiest sand job i've ever done (with dremel:p). leaves a mess everywhere.

Rankenphile

Awesome, nice job, Rich.

I love working with poli. What thickness is it, and how much did you get it for?

Again, even though I say it all the time, you can get big sheets of a harder version of this stuff from sign printers for cheap, sometimes free, if you ask them. They call it Cintra, usually, and they often have huge scrap sheets laying around left over from old jobs. I highly recommend stopping by and asking a local printer for some. There are about a half-dozen sign printers within 10 minutes of my work, so I tend to make the rounds about every six months and get at least a dozen big pieces or so, usually for free. It is usually 1/8" thick, and only a little harder than standard poli, very easy to cut and bend, and just a ton of fun to work with.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Awesome, nice job, Rich.

I love working with poli. What thickness is it, and how much did you get it for?

Again, even though I say it all the time, you can get big sheets of a harder version of this stuff from sign printers for cheap, sometimes free, if you ask them. They call it Cintra, usually, and they often have huge scrap sheets laying around left over from old jobs. I highly recommend stopping by and asking a local printer for some. There are about a half-dozen sign printers within 10 minutes of my work, so I tend to make the rounds about every six months and get at least a dozen big pieces or so, usually for free. It is usually 1/8" thick, and only a little harder than standard poli, very easy to cut and bend, and just a ton of fun to work with.

Just to point out one thing.....Cintra is PVC Poly is polystyrene.... there a little diffirent.

The Cintra you can glue with standard PVc pipe glue (if your glueing it to more Cintra) and some times doesn't hold well with other glues. Poly can be glued with CA (super glue), or Epoxy. I belive that Cintra is made up of three layers the outer layers are solid sheets of PVC, the core ind "Expanded PVC", so it's kinda like plywood. With that said there both real easy to work with. Just don't over heat the PVC stuff cause when it burns (even a very little) it releases toxic gases that just aren't good for you!

Good Work on tha Mousey!!! I like working with Poly too, it's so easy to make it look like you want!

Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

Awesome, nice job, Rich.

It's a quarter inch thick and the white sheet i'm working on in the pics is the polystyrene sheet i got. it was only about 50cents so i thought that was a good deal. Thanx for all the kudos folks. i wish i was like most of you guys who can stay home and do this stuff all day. Unfortunately i'm in the rat race myself.

ATX Mental Case

I have a question about circuitry. How can i hook up the fan and 2 led's to the mouse? I understand how to hook up the fan but am not sure if the led's would be a problem. I know nothing of resistors so please 'dumb' things down a bit.

nice, looks like this will be sweet, but why is it called cyclops?