Thread: Thin Monitor

Fresh Paint

Default Thin Monitor

I am doing a new case mod and I am looking for a thin monitor to put in the lid of a briefcase. I am looking for one that supports two inputs (HDMI and DVI or DSUB) so I can use it for a locally contained computer as well as a secondary monitor for a laptop.

I was wondering if anyone has torn down a LCD monitor lately that has a depth of less than 2 inches if the electronics are relocated leaving only the panel and lighting in place for the depth. The other components for this mod are fairly small so the monitor is the driving factor in briefcase/attache case size, so anything over 19 inches is probably not going to work.

Thanks,
    LD

Default Re: Thin Monitor

I've not torn into it, but my Dell 19" LCD is about 2" thick while assembled. So the components inside must be less...or they're all just mashed up.

Sorry, I lied...out of curiosity, I just measured it's depth and it's about 2.5".

Oddly enough, I was not able to find a sub-19" monitor with both HDMI and DVI (they were mostly VGA):
    Perhaps one of these will work though. The last one there is only 2.9" deep including it's stand...unfortunately it has some bad reviews.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the Info. I saw a HansG on NewEgg today that was just a little beit too big but looks like it could fit the bill. I suppose if I cannot find anything it will just have to have a larger case.

I have looked around at briefcase mods and suitecase mods and figured I would take a break from my water cooled beasts and do a worklog on a shnazzy attache.

just waiting for the laptop jokes to start. Personally I think they get a bad rap because of the bare case concept and having to make things fit. I am fabbing out everything so I have a lot more flexibility in what I can do so I hope this mod will get some props.

Thanks again for the info.

LD

Fresh Paint

Actually, I just went to new egg on it and it has some great reviews. It looks like this is the max size I will be able to fit in a box. Gonna look around some more for maybe a little smaller one. Thanks for the great tip...

LD