Thread: Wireless PCI Card

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Default Wireless PCI Card

As i get ready to really use Archangel for school stuff, etc, etc...I was wondering what would be best in a wireless pci card.

My modem that is in use now has a wireless router built into it, and i believe it is 802.11b/g. Any suggestions on pci cards?
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Wireless PCI Card

Asus makes good cards. Look for a card with an antenna on a cable. This will allow you to position the antenna in a position to get better reception; something that is very useful especially in locations such as college campuses, where reception is not always very consistent. Another option would be to get a USB WiFi adapter with a USB extension cable. A lot of USB adapter will actually come with a little stand to mount the adapter vertically with the use of an extension cable.

I have a Dlink card and have yet to come across any problems besides my antenna hits my graphics card plugs on the back :p

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I use a Tornado 122 card from Allied Data that I bought years ago. Not sure if they still sell them anywhere but I've never had issues with it.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Until today I had an Encore card. Stay away from them. I'm now using a Zonet external USB adapter and my speed is twice what it was with the Encore.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks for the suggestions! USB Dongle or PCI card with Antenna?
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

A PCI Card with an antenna will always beat out a USB Dongle one unless it is one of thos Alpha USB adaptors. One good tip is to match the wireless card with the same brand of your router.
    Need a sig

What brand and model is the adapter?