Thread: Lapping HDT sinks?

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Lapping HDT sinks?

I just got a new CPU cooler and it has the HDT base that's becoming so popular. The finish is a little rough, but I'm reluctant to try lapping it, with the heatpipes exposed. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?

EDIT: I failed to do my research prior to posting. Question answered, for me anyway. I've seen a few pictures of damage done to the heatpipes. That was what I was afraid of. Evidently it can be done, but has to be done very carefully, and as efficiently as possible, since the heatpipes in the area are so thin. I'll just leave mine alone.

This is surely an extreme example, but ugly nevertheless.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 11-13-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: Lapping HDT sinks?

i wouldnt bother with it. the results would not justify the time and risk
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

to me there is 2 types of lapping. the first one is for getting through the nickel layer (IHS lapping) or getting it flat which removes alot of material. i would skip that step for the HDT coolers.

then you want to make it smoother with fine grits which is only what i would do with a HDT heatsinks.

where did you find the pic btw?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Well the good news is that manufacturers are taking note and polishing their HDT / HDC heatsink bases a little better. After my complaints on the base finish on the TX3 and 212 Plus offerings from Cooler Master they started finishing them a little better. The sent me an email telling me that one of each with the new surface finish is on the way for a followup.

I plan on doing some super macro shots of the surface that should equate to something like 30X magnification. This should lend some insight into how much finer the scratches are on the new finishes compared to the old rough ones. So far Cooler Master is the only one I am aware of making these changes but hopefully other manufacturers will take notice and follow Cooler Masters lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28
    So far Cooler Master is the only one I am aware of making these changes
    My Swiftech Apogee GTX from about 3 years ago was nicely finished to a near perfect mirror...I recently lapped it to re-flatten it out. I couldn't find paper over 2000 grit and couldn't get it to look like stock... (I didn't want to use polishing compound on it.)
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.