Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little help with water-cooling plz :]

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Little help with water-cooling plz :]

That should do you fine; that's a nice PSU, and it's 80 PLUS SILVER certified, so it shouldn't draw any more power than a lower wattage PSU would.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNintend0
    I checked Newegg's Wattage Calculator and it said I needed at least a 971 Watt power supply, I'm just wondering if this is right or not... Any thoughts?
    They may be over estimating so consumers spend more money on a higher wattage PSU, or they may be over estimating to keep people from purchasing a poor quality PSU with the exact wattage they need. PSU's will last longer and run more efficiently the less they are worked. So a 500W PSU won't last as long or be as efficient as a 750W if they both have a 450W load on them constantly. I personally have a 1000W Ultra X3 that has never seen more than 500W fully loaded. It's always stable, I trust it's as efficient as Ultra and reviewers claim, and it's backed by a lifetime warranty, so I expect it will last me a very long time. The only con was it's price: ~250 bucks when it was on sale 3 years ago.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, I've been thinking about an Ultra X4, and it's an amazing power supply... but now I'm starting to consider going with a non-modular PSU... The reason why is so that the modular plugs will not wear out over time if I continue to use the same PSU (unlikely, but better safe than sorry), and also the modular plugs have about as much resistance in each "connection" as 2 feet of standard copper wire... I will need as much power as possible, so I'm considering a Silverstone OP1000... again, I'm considering it, so if there's anyone who thinks this isn't a good PSU, please tell me I'm trying to get the best out of my system...

I don't plan on buying anything until I have everything planned out so I'm completely positive that everything should work out... As of now I'm drawing a 1:4 (ish) scale of the computer... not a lot of details, just what I will be modding...

The resistance is actually less than that, and TBH it's not that much in two feet of wire, anyway. Having tested the X4, if you can top it you're throwing in stuff just to have it in there. After QuadFire and an OCed processor, you'd still need like 20+ HDDs to start taxing it. A pump or two isn't an issue, and neither is case fans. I'm running 4 pumps, 13 case fans on my rads and elsewhere (and all of those have LEDs) and two hard drives with no sweat on the 750. Go read jonnyguru.com and see what they say. I go there when I need help in a review. Seriously.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I've got an 800-Watt Ultra X3, and its running 3 x 120mm fans, mem cooler, water pump, cold cathodes etc and its been flawless for the past couple years

I accept your 800W Ultra, and raise you a 500W PC Power & Cooling running:
    C2Q9450
    GTX260
    watercooling pump
    2x 120mm fans
    2xSSDs

I haven't gotten around to buying a kill-a-watt yet; I really want to find out how much power I'm actually pulling.

Now I'm thinking of going with an Ultra X4 1050 Watt for the main system and a Ultra X4 Micro-ATX 400 Watt for the cooling system and extras that I may add later... I was thinking of going with a PC Power & Cooling, but those things are so dang hard to find...

O_O holycrapthatisalotofpower! Any particular reason for the separate PSU just for the pump(s)/fans? I guarantee you, two pumps and a zillion fans won't pull more than ~50W (ok, so some pumps might, but not the ones you picked).

For the PCP&C PSUs, what model are you looking for? NewEgg doesn't have many anymore, but I know at least ZipZoomFly has a really nice selection, and everyone I know who has bought from them has had good experiences with them. ..unless you're not in the US..then I can see finding them maybe being a problem.

My sample tested to 1200W, bro. If you're feeling leery still, I can fire it up and put it on the scope tonight...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Or you could get the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200, which they rate to a max constant level of 1200W, with a peak level of 1400W
    http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/...cool-1200.html
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703012

If you need more power than that, you're doing something very wrong....or very right