Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zombie apocalypse contingency plans?

Default Re: Zombie apocalypse contingency plans?

i own a few guns, always have lots of ammo cause i like to target shoot. i also live out of town am completely surrounded by open fields with cows. and i have a well thats been here since the house was built 60 years ago. all in all i feel that i have a decently secure location. and my scoped 30-06 makes me feel easier lol.

As above, I live in a small town, on the edge of town. My house is "reasonably" secure as is, with minor changes it would be great.

Weapons you have to reload are less than ideal IMHO. I have a selection of machetes (call it a collection if you will) around the property, and always have at least one within 10 yards.

We are stocking up on canned goods and bottled water anyways, "just in case". Economy, supposed pandemic, etc. I'm getting ready.
    Zombies be damned.. that's a by-product of the apocalypse... I'm worried more about the rest of it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I live in a medium sized city, so I'd be getting the f out...even though my building is like a fortification with little modification needed. I'd stop by which ever big box grocery store was being looted the least and stock up before making my way to my dad's place. He lives in the middle of nowhere on a fully wooded hill. From there we'd fortify the place (which probably won't be necessary), stock up on more food/ammo/firewood. He's got a semi-auto 30-06 and a semi-auto 12 gauge. I'd probably go out and loot a semi-auto .22 handgun and as many rounds for it as I could carry. Then off to loot the nearest HomeDepot like store for some plywood and other materials for further fortification on the truck and around the house...then packets of seeds from their gardening department. Rain barrels, a manual pump well-head, and canning jars would be next priority.

That would be ideal...if I couldn't get out of the city, I'd just remove a section of stairs from each of the 5 stairwells in my building...and figure out how to proceed from there depending on the situation. I'd probably install a second deadbolt in my door to keep would-be looters out of my unit. I'd then go see what I could find that hadn't been looted yet.

I do have a good friend that's an expert on zombie survival and has almost committed the written guide to memory...I'd just consult him on what I should be doing next. I'm sure he's already prepared so I should just find out what he's got in his survival kit and make my own while the streets are still safe...BRB.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Heheh; good to know I'm not the only one who's put thought to it

Where I'm living currently, as is, I'd be pretty screwed. Basement level with a large glass sliding door into a half submerged patio and a large window in the other room. On the bright side though, it is a good, sturdy, old brick building, so given an hour or two of prep time (assuming I could get to the hardware store and back alive), I could fortify those openings with steel bar/grates/plywood/etc by tapping straight into the brick to the sides and steel beams above. Even so, I would probably grab what I could, hit a sportsman's supply store for weapons, and make for the hills. ATM, I would make for my sister's house up in PA; they're on a hillside, a fair bit outside civilization, so at the very least a more defensible position than where I am (or any nearby family, for that matter).

As for weapons, I don't have any firearms at the moment (though I'm working on rectifying that ), but I've got a fair bit of edged weapons. I was thinking about it last night, and ideally, what I'd want to have would a folded steel katana (yeah yeah, I know..but hey, I can dream, right?), two hefty kukri knives, a large caliber semi-auto rifle, a sawn-off shotgun, and a solid, old, revolver. If books/movies/video games/etc have taught me anything, it's that after any apocalyptic event, the fewer moving parts a weapon has, the better.

I'm torn between if I would take my car or my motorcycle. On the one hand, I can carry more in my car and I would have more protection. On the other hand, my motorcycle would be more agile, get better gas milage, and have fewer parts to break. Another benefit of my motorcycle being so old is that I'm pretty sure it would live through an EMP blast just fine, in case of a nuclear attack. Unfortunately, considering my proximity to Washington DC (near downtown Laurel), if it got hit with anything bigger than a 1.5 megaton nuclear blast, none of my plans would matter (great little tool I found here for determining how screwed you would be).

Unfortunately my friend who would probably be most prepared lives in downtown DC, so more likely than not, he wouldn't make it out.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

We live on the edge of nowhere outhere i ahve some small firearms My next door neghibor is stocked to the gills lol .We could see them coming for a long ways . If i had to fall back tro somewhere it would be the man cave true .
    I would be trapped one way in one way out .
    With what firearms we have and assorted saws .
    I would make my last stand there .
    Speaking of that might not hurt to pit some chef Chef Boyardee
    I could also cut slits in the doy and got at em with the sawzall .

I would hate to ruin any ones plans but.

1. If you live anywhere near a nuclear power plant you have about 2-days to get as far away from it as possible. Watch life after people

2.I don't think anyone will be driving anywhere roads and high ways will probably be filled with abandoned cars and other debris.

3. More then likely every one has the same idea as you get down to walmart ect. and get supplies not only will you be lucky to make it down there but there might not be anything left or you could be killed or injured by other's seeking to get the same supplies.

4.If you are thinking about staying in your home you have to consider that your home might catch on fire due to one you haven't even caused fires will most likely go unchecked and spread from house to house.

I might have missed a few things. If anyone is interested there is a book called "The Zombie Survival Guide" which is about planing for a zombie apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by farlo View Post
    i own a few guns, always have lots of ammo cause i like to target shoot. i also live out of town am completely surrounded by open fields with cows.
    WTF zombie cows? now thats a scary idea.. "no..NO BESSSIE NOOOO!!!" (muffled noises and such)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Machine View Post
    2.I don't think anyone will be driving anywhere roads and high ways will probably be filled with abandoned cars and other debris.
    That's why a motorcycle is better, preferably one with a good ground clearance. You can get around the abandoned cars on the road, and if you have a good amount of ground clearance, you can run well off-road too.

3. More then likely every one has the same idea as you get down to walmart ect. and get supplies not only will you be lucky to make it down there but there might not be anything left or you could be killed or injured by other's seeking to get the same supplies.
    Unfortunately, yes. This is why everyone should familiarize themselves with the closest small stores. Not only do they stimulate the local economy in the present, but also, the less well known they are, the more likely they won't be cleaned out by the time you can get to them.

I might have missed a few things. If anyone is interested there is a book called "The Zombie Survival Guide" which is about planing for a zombie apocalypse.
    Yup; great resource, that. I've read through a bit of it, but I really should get a copy myself.

I've also taken to hording information (thus my fileserver ). In the event of an apocalypse, it is vital that the accumulated knowledge of mankind be saved. Another useful resource for rebuilding civilization, are the Foxfire Books. Lot of great stuff there.

I see such things in movies, but at the start of an outbreak, I doubt this will be the case...maybe a week or two into it.
    Yep, I'm aware that I'm one in a million here and I'd be looting weapons first...for personal protection not only from infected...but crazed survivors as well.
    "The Zombie Survival Guide"
    My friend that has this just about memorized lives on the floor below me so I'll just consult him. =D
    My bubble seems to be intact but the more anyone tries to pop it the better my chances are of surviving...so pop away!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I would go to a popsicle store.

Popsicles give zombie immunity.