Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any use for a dead GTX 280?

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Default Is there any use for a dead GTX 280?

My GTX 280 died....

Of course I don't have a reciept.... because I'm a a mr0n. Yes i know. I actually won it in a sweepstakes... so I don't feel too too bad. It actually worked great until i put a DangerDen Tieton block on it....?

Now i get "no signal"

BFG said "sucks to be you"

So I was wondering... do you think i could still use it as aphysics card or do you think it's toast.....

Anything else you guys can think of? I tried it in my new rig and get an error beep from the mother board and "no signal".....

Just throwin it out there to the hardware ninjas.....

thanks

Tony D.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Is there any use for a dead GTX 280?

Did you try returning it to stock? Does it still run as far as you can tell? Maybe it's just overheating and thus not working or something?

Otherwise... THERMITE + YOUTUBE!
    Last edited by Zephik; 11-01-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: one minute reply.. damn I'm fast! lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Drop Kayin a PM - he seems to know a lot about getting dead video cards to work - got to be worth a shot....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Maybe, read this on how to Lazarus a video card,

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792

Wow, that sounds really cool. I'll probably try this.

If this works. It would be epic....

It does make sense.

TD

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

From the description, I don't think that's your problem. My guess would be with Zephik, that you did something wrong when you installed the waterblock and it's overheating. Modern GPUs are pretty smart about that; if they sense that continuing operating will kill them, they generally shut themselves off. I'm assuming you put all the thermal paste/tape on when you installed the waterblock and that the waterblock was hooked up to an operating WC system when you tested it?

@using it as a PhysX/CUDA card, that almost definitely wouldn't work. Everything's concentrated down to few enough points of failure that if the video output is toast, the whole card is. You could try firing it up in a system with another video card though, and see if the OS picks it up.

Thanks for your help guys. No luck so far.

I never OCed this card.

I was thinking the temp thing also. I did have everything hooked up correctly, with thermal paste, and I've tried it with the waterblock and the stock heatsink. I just can't imagine it overheating so fast that it won't even make it to the post screen.

It has the green light and the fan seems to work fine. No matter what I do, I just get "no signal". I did try it along side my new card and still nothing.

I think it's totally toast. Oh well. You win some and loose some.

Thanks again for the help.

Tony D.

I'm just throwing this out there, but could the slot be funky? You've got a 295 and a 280 that aren't working, perhaps could it be the slot? Power supply even?

Again, just tossing it out there.

You could have overtightened the block down, and jacked the core *shrug*. I read somewhere, maybe bit, about a problem they were having where they overtightened the heatsink and it wouldn't post. Loosening the screws a bit, and poof, just posted fine. Don't really know if that would have any effect here, nor how tight you tightened it on. Just throwing ideas around.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Man, that sucks, I hate it when hardware just kicks off like that. As you said, at least it was cheap.

Best of luck getting it running, but if you do decide that it's dead send me a PM. It would be a valuable prop on my end for case reviews. They don't have to work to show the masses how they fit in a case.

Just to throw another wild idea into the mix.

Have you checked to see if you get a signal using the on board video - if so - then check your bios to see if it's set to the on board card for boot priority (for some reason after having been off for 10 days one of my systems reverted to on board video setting on restart for no apparent reason).