Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting new phone on Verizon...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Getting new phone on Verizon...

I'm ordering a new phone on Verizon and I've filled out all of the billing and shipping information and everything else, then it says processing order, etc etc., then it says I have two options. Option one is a $125 deposit? uh, what? I'm confused by this. So do I need to pay for the phone, the plan, activation AND a deposit?? The deposit is more than the phone + plan combined! I'm so confused. Then option two is some kind of pay-as-you-go plan which replaces the messaging only plan I wanted, but it doesn't require a deposit.

What the hell is going on here? It sure would be insanely nice if they, you know, explained what they're talking about. But nope, no explanation or information, just pick one or the other.

Edit: Thanks Google, what would I do without you...

So apparently it's because I have pretty much no credit or my credit isn't good enough, so if I default on a payment then they use that to cover it. Makes sense, but now I can't get a phone. So... hmmm. Next paycheck goes towards rent, then the next paycheck I'll be able to get a phone. Awesome. /sarcasm
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Getting new phone on Verizon...

gotta love that crap

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I had to pay that deposit when I was with verizon, cept I had two lines so that meant two deposits.
    Later, I ended up with Sprint cause they only wanted a $50 deposit. meh
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

When me and the wife were looking for phone we ran my name first through T-Mobile and they wanted $500 for the deposit and that only gave us 1 line. Then we ran her name and she needed no deposit and was approved for the max 5 lines. Sometimes I hate credit reports.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Kinda off topic but I heard Verizon in the states is CDMA. For Real?
    Need a sig

Yep, verizon and Sprint are CDMA in the US

T-Mobile and Cingular(ATT) are GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

This is why I've been with AT&T since 2001. They were the only company that didn't want some outrageous deposit.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I can't remember what I had to pay for a deposit, but I do remember getting it back after a year.

Oh and Rick...Verizon is finally getting into the game and getting a potential Iphone killer.....mwhahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    This is why I've been with AT&T since 2001. They were the only company that didn't want some outrageous deposit.
    Yea, they just want outrageous monthly plans instead. HA! :p

I want that damn iPhone so bad, but no way no how could I afford the monthly payment though. It's like what? $90 a month just for a decent plan? I get basically the same thing for $35 with Verizon, although that's mostly because I don't use calling hardly ever.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I heard that verizon was getting the iphone is january... is that not true?