Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Robotics: Crenn's Third Year Project

Default Re: Robotics: Crenn's Third Year Project

No updates for a while, but stuff has been happening:

I've been working on interfacing the RC receiver to the Maple Mini via 6 pins. I'm going to be using interrupts triggered by timer input captures, but initially I'll be using external interrupts. I've had pointed out this morning that I can have a single pin for all 6 channels by doing a logical OR. This means that I free up 5 pins and also 3 PWM channels, allowing all of the measurements to be done with a single PWM channel or external interrupt.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I don't understand too much of that but progress and freeing up pins are both good

SXRguyinMA, the RC receiver channels output a PWM signal with a pulse of a length between 1100uS and 1900uS every 22ms which usually a servo uses to determine the position it should be facing. In this case, I want the microcontroller to measure this so we can use the RC RXTX to control the robot. The new method saves on pins because of how the channel signals are structured and because there is a gap between each pulse, meaning I can still tell which pulse comes from which channel.

ahhh that makes more sense lol

I'll leave these here ;D You can see the 4072 IC (Dual Quad input OR gates) that I used for the RC Receiver.

nice! how do you go about perfectly aligning the 2 sides? I'm going to be making a double-sided board (or two) and want to know what the best way is

I'm not sure how my uni does it, but I believe they align the tool to a couple of the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    I'm not sure how my uni does it, but I believe they align the tool to a couple of the holes.
    That's what she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

After an eventful past week, we're ready to do some flight tests some time next week providing everything continues to work correctly. Last saturday we were preparing to start doing more tuning of the control systems and looking at doing flight tests, however errors occurring while I was touching the frame, the errors were found to be a result of some bad solder joints and before any flight tests could be done, they needed to be fixed.
    Just before the public was allowed to come into the room during the open day, I touched up several solder joints and went to go test the board, I plugged it in to test and found the board no longer powered up. While trying to find the fault, I accidentally caused a short circuit through the frame while connected to the battery which I thought has killed the voltage regulators on the board meaning we couldn't display the robot working during Open day, but we got plenty of questions about it regardless.
    The very next day, I started to work out what had happened. A bad solder joint was the cause of the problems on open day, not the voltage regulators at all, even more amazing was the board was completely fine after fixing that one solder joint! But it had already been decided that we needed a spare board in the event of a board failure and I also designed a standard testing procedure for testing the circuit boards before they go into use or after a repair/modification. Pretty much it's just verifying the board is working, with a bench power supply, which will shut itself off if a short circuit occurs.
    3 days ago, I got the new circuit board made, and spent the next day assembling the board after classes, getting a parcel through the uni (containing the plane for a personal project, SEPA) and sorting out trying to get a refund for a faulty battery which cannot be returned because of it's poor condition. The faulty battery was meant to be a spare battery for our project, but sadly that's not to be.
    Today I verified both microcontroller boards for use with our project and integrated the sensor which allows us to monitor the voltage level of the battery and also the current that an engine is drawing. My associate worked on a testing harness so we can do tethered flight next week. I promise to upload photos tomorrow, SEPA and MEHA will also have some photos taken of them and I'll detail more stuff tomorrow as well. More site content is coming as well, I haven't had the time to even look at updating my site until now!

glad it wasn't anything major