Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life bringing the fail.

Default Life bringing the fail.

Not feeling to good recently. My car broke down for the second day in a row. And this time I have to wait until Monday for a repair shop to even be open, can't even get the car home. The radiator is leaking, first time the car overheated but the repairman said he fixed it and it was driving fine. Today the problem is way worse but I managed to limp to a gas station and got AAA to tow it to a closed repair shop at 1am. Had to leave the car there, which I really really don't like the thought of.

On top of that things in my apartment keep breaking and my landlords maintenance crew half asses everything. All of the appliances that came with the place except the dishwasher have had varying problems. There was a gas leak a few days after I moved in. The floors bend whenever someone walks on them. I even had a stair in the staircase going from the main floor to the bedrooms collapse and fall out. The repair man did a horrible job fixing it, I need to complain to the landlords office but I'm afraid it wont get me anywhere.

Also my desktop computer is acting really weird and I can't figure out if its just a bad hard drive i have no means of backing up or i think more likely a motherboard issue. Also the output to my second monitor is all messed up. Been having some minor issues with my laptop but it seems to have stabilized at the moment. At least my net book is working good.

Don't even get me started on the I can't pick a major in college at all and I still don't like the college lifestyle at all. I started in engineering but really hated it. Now I have no idea what to do, took some business classes but they don't seem geared at all towards what I want to do. Only think I can figure out is I want to work for myself in some form of small business. Probably a specialty shop of some kind. I hate the college lifestyle where most people don't take care of themselves and party too much. I dislike parties a lot, and especially hate alcohol/drugs.

cliffnotes:
    -My car broke down two days in a row and is now stranded
    -My apartment has a lot of maintenance issues that are not being dealt with properly
    -My computer is acting weird
    -I can't pick a direction in life and don't really like a lot about college
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: Life bringing the fail.

Hey look man, it gets better... I know, it sounds passe, and it is, but its true.
    I didnt have a car for a long ass time. When I got one, I got in a wreck, and, well, you all saw what it looked like.
    I have a job I hate, and yet live in fear of losing, and up until recently had no idea of how to go to school so I could do something to change it. Or where to go, or what for, for that matter.
    I live in a total S-hole. Straight up ghetto, with drugs, fighting neighbors, car thefts, kids runnin around tearin crap up... Maintainence never fixes squat, and when they do, its half assed at best.
    Look, I'm not trying to get in a pissin contest with you. I am not trying to diminish your hardships. I am trying to tell you it does get better man. You are in school, so you are already a step ahead. Don't like the school? transfer. Hate your place? when is the lease up? start looking at some other places in the area, maybe there is another one you can afford. As far as the car goes... well unfortunately not much can be dope there, except hope it doesnt cost too much to fix. Not exactly encouraging, I know, but there's not much that can be said there....
    I realize some of this might seem a little to milk-toast to seem practicle, but hey, even in my current crummy situation, it's still a step up from living on the streets (which I did for several years) and I know one day I will step up again and live in a place where I might actually be able to have guests over.
    That is if I had friends to invite over....
    Buck up, man, it could always be worse. And if you really have hit rock bottom, then the only way to go is up.
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

I hope things get better for you; it seems things are tough for way to many people, and generally those who least 'deserve' it.

As for college, if you've got decent financial aid going (or a way to pay for school in general), don't be afraid to switch majors, or take a semester or two to try different things. From what I've experienced, they genarally don't just tell you after four years are up "Ya, um, no more FA for you, as you've already used your quota". Try something different and maybe you will find something you enjoy better. I wish I could switch majors again, but I feel too far into mine and would rather just get my degree than switch and not care for it again. My issue really is that I do not feel challenged in the least bit, by anything college has to offer, so I just want to get it done and also don't feel like I fit in with those my age, then again I never really did. Busy boring work does not equate to something challenging and actually getting me to think.

you can have up to 200 credits for one bachelors for financial aid i believe is the maximum. buck up dude, itll get better! at least thats what I tell myself... :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Nevermind it was pointless for me to rant here, I'm just a lazy undeserving asshole.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

No, you're a human just like us.

We all experience hardships, and yours do top the curve right now, but the thing about life is that something always changes. Maybe good, maybe bad, but it changes, and it's up to us to grab that change by the balls and beat it till it gives us what we want.

I've been homeless twice, and this place is a bug-infested ancient deathtrap. I've had landlord battles, all of it. Some real nutcase stuff. Every time something changed, I squeezed out of it all I could. There's no other way to live life in my opinion.

Venting is a natural, healthy part of life, and it keeps us from murdering the neighbors. Don't be ashamed of doing something that will keep ya from doing that.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Well my stairs got fixed better, not perfect but I don't own the place so I don't care. At least this is a decent neighborhood and fairly spacious for a college student.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with my car. It took a full day for it to get towed to the repair shop that first dealt with it. I hope it can be fixed tomorrow so I can pick it up in the morning on the day after.

I've been ignoring the computer and using my laptop with my desktops, monitor and peripherals hooked up to it, not ideal but it works till I feel like dealing with the desktop.

College is really really really bothering me. I absolutely hate taking classes, and while I like it in this City and have decent friends here I do regret coming back to taking classes. I doubt I'll like it any better if i choose a major. I also realized I have absolutely no clue how to study for classes and tests, I somehow got through my freshman year without studying at all and still managed a GPA of 3.2 after that. Now it's catching up to me though.

What I really want to do in life is work for myself, probably open some sort of small shop. I'm afraid that college won't really be that helpful for that and would just end up leaving me with high loans that students at this school normally get paid off by their first employers after graduating, which will not happen in my situation. Edit: btw I don't need or qualify for financial aid, I was lucky enough that my parents saved up for some of my college expenses and I qualify for loans on the rest.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Wow. honestly, I wish I had your problem, cept for the car thing cause that always sucks. I wish I could afford to go back to school and do the things I want to do. I want to open a LAN shop but theres definitely some business courses and things that I need to take before I can even solicit anyone for money to get it started. Sadly for me, like Mark said Im also in a job I loathe but see no way out of it for now. And Im not getting any younger.

Fact is you're going to have to figure out what kind of shop you want to open and then focus your class efforts on those courses that pertain to your shop. If you want to open a basket weaving shop then ya you guessed it, youll need basketweaving 101. If you can decide what you want to open then you can research what youll need for a financial institution to even breathe in your direction.

Enjoy your time now because at some point, your options become so much less as you get older. Trust me, Im there now. And Im not saying Im unhappy(cept for the job part), Im just unsatisfied with how my life has turned out. But you know what? Its pretty much my own fault for not following my dreams when I was young enough to have dreams.

...and the car has a blown headgasket. Which my parents are going to take care of because I can't afford the $2000 repair bill.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

At the risk of souding like a douche here, I dont know what the big deal is. It sucks, I wont deny you that, but you have someone helping you pay the bills and fixing your car for you.
    Had that happened to me, guess what. Back to the shoelace express for me cause I dont have someone to pay for stuff for me.

Not trying to sound like an ass
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)