Thread: It's good and it's bad...

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default It's good and it's bad...

I was given a pointed reminder of the march of Time today, while putting away the dishes of all things. For those who don't know I have two little girls, and I noticed today at some point (I will never know when) we wound up with fewer Elmo plates and more Barbie plates in the cabinets.

It just struck me pretty hard. Lots of that to come, I know, but this was one of the first that had that effect on me. I have no idea what I'll do when the day comes that they don't want to play Hide and Seek with me any more. I guess I'll just smile and watch them go racing on with their lives and try to keep up.

New (and prospective) fathers be warned. It will happen to you.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default Re: It's good and it's bad...

Man they will grow up and go off for a bit but they will always come back to Daddy.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Hehe - jup, I can remember The teletubbies being dumped for Bob the Builder, followed by Pokemon and more recently Ben-10 - now he's "too old for that silly kids stuff" and wants to help me with PC repairs - he's 12.....

My wife has just pointed out, accurately, that most of the time, his "help" consists of offering to help, doing the first thing I ask, then going back to watching Ben-10 lol - hey at least he asks

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I know everytime I llok at my daughter I see how she looks older, talks older... as the jibberish becomes more and more defined, then refined... sigh makes me feel old
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

I hear you all on this. My oldest daughter is 7,the middle daughter is 2 and my youngest will be here any day now. I miss the little sqeally baby noises and the gibberish but I love watching them grow older and learn new things. But I keep one thin my grandfather told me in my head. Growing old is mandatory, growing up is sheerly optional.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BerticusPryme View Post
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is sheerly optional.
    That's good. It's something I will instill in my kids, believe me. Thanks!

I'm having to deal with makeup with my oldest ones. THAT is where it gets scary. I have a teenager... I finally learned fear.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

It hit me a couple weeks ago. My boy crawled over to the coffee table, pulled himself up, grabbed his bink and stuck it in his mouth.

And he's only 14 months old. Given the line of work I'm in, along with my history with computers, I will not be surprised if he gives up the Hot Wheels at around 8 for programming in BASIC.

Quote Originally Posted by BerticusPryme View Post
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is sheerly optional.
    My grandpa told me something similar: Old age is always 15 years older than you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    It hit me a couple weeks ago. My boy crawled over to the coffee table, pulled himself up, grabbed his bink and stuck it in his mouth.

And he's only 14 months old. Given the line of work I'm in, along with my history with computers, I will not be surprised if he gives up the Hot Wheels at around 8 for programming in BASIC.
    I hear you there man. My daughter walks now and the wife and I were talking tonight and realized that its only been a month now but she's walking real steady. I almost expect her to just take off at a dead run one for these days. And she hits 13 months on the 22nd.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

hahaha, I'm young, free, long haired and handsome. I aint' never gonna get old! *revs engine, drives off*

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!