Thread: Corsair Flash Voyager 512Mb USB Drive

Water Cooled

Default Corsair Flash Voyager 512Mb USB Drive

Thanks to the generosity of TBCS, I received the Corsair Flash Voyager 512Mb yesterday and I decided to write a review on it for you guys.

From Corsairs website:
    FEATURES

* Plug & Play functionality in Windows® XP, 2000, ME, Linux 2.4 and later, Mac OS 9, X and later
    * Drivers on CD for Windows® 98
    * Lanyard, USB cable and driver CD included
    * Supports sustained read speed of 19MB/sec
    * Supports sustained write speed of 13MB/sec
    * Ten year warranty

The package:
    Includes the drive itself, installation mini disk, a stylish blue lanyard, and a USB extension cable.

The drive:
    The first thing I noticed is how small it is, measuring 7.5cm x 2.5cm x 1.2cm (LxWxD). It is definetly one of the smallest ones on the market. The durable rubber coating protects the parts inside from impacts, dust, and water. The cap is also watertight and fits the USB port perfectly. A flashing blue activity LED can be found on the tail end of the stick giving me a very nice visual when in use.

Software:
    Corsair includes a very handy software allowing you to make a bootable drive, format and partition the Flash Voyager.

Newer motherboards support bootable USB devices, trying to get rid of the good old floppy drives. This allows us to have a backup disk on a partition, or even a complete OS installed on it, possibilities are endless.

Testing:
    Corsair claims 19Mb/s read and 13Mb/s write speeds on a USB 2.0 port. Formatting it was a breeze, took me about 10 seconds. Now lets see how fast they really are. I used Sisoft Sandra 2005 Professional for testing.

As you can see, it is fast. In fact, it is one of the fastest drives you can get today and it doesn't fall behind from its claimed speeds.

Overall:
    So far so good, after two days of use I'm very impressed with this drive, and I will update this review as I gain more experience with it. Being really fast and small makes it a nice product, and the rubber coating is a very nice feature as well. Somehow I just have to hold it in my hand when the other is on the mouse clicking away, and I just can't wait to finish typing so I can hold onto it again. It gets pretty addictive . I don't know how durable it is yet, but it seems very sturdy and I don't think it will let me down any time soon. It isn't the most expensive either, pricing at around $55 for the 512Mb, and it is a great bang for that money I might say. If you are looking for a USB flash drive, just get one of these and you won't be disappointed.

Overclocked

Default Re: Corsair Flash Voyager 512Mb USB Drive

Good review !!!

Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

The SlackMeister

nice review man. you live in Canada and already got ur prize, what about the rest of the winners?

Water Cooled

i have no clue

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    nice review man. you live in Canada and already got ur prize, what about the rest of the winners?
    Mine got delayed so still waiting for mine.

Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Hmm... I need a portable device... I think I may pick this up....