Thread: cuting plexyglass

Fresh Paint

Default cuting plexyglass

how do you cut plexy glass ?
    it keeps melting or breacking on me.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: cuting plexyglass

depends on the tool you are using. if you are using a drill or sawblade, chances are it will crack. i use a dremel for this type of job (i use a dremel for everything actually:p). take it slow on a high speed. don't apply preasure and let it do the cutting. if you hear it slow down, ease up on it. since the dremel goes at high speeds, it not only cuts but melts the plexi a bit which is ok cause the melted parts can be broken off with your fingers. after you've done that, some light sanding and elbow grease should do it.

"What the deuce?"..Stewy Griffon

Case Wizard

breaking can be caused by flexing the plexiglass while it is being cut, and/or to much heat is being transfered to the plexiglass.

If you get to much heat as richmandudeus says when you glue your pieces together it will cause crazing (Cracks).

what are you using to cut it with.

Saws you will want metal cutting blades with 15+ teeth per inch, Dremmel cut off wheels will work but not for edges that will need to be glued.

Fresh Paint

wow thanks this solves the problems

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

A dremel is a very bad tool to use for plexiglass. You can use one, but I actually recomend turning down the speed. When cutting on a table saw, you will want atleast 80 tooth. I have found that a jigsaw is actually fairly good for cutting plexi, in my experience there was no melting or cracking. Whatever tool you may use, just remember to cut slowly, don't use pressure, and let the tool do the work.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

"When cutting on a table saw, you will want atleast 80 tooth. I have found that a jigsaw is actually fairly good for cutting plexi, in my experience there was no melting or cracking. Whatever tool you may use, just remember to cut slowly, don't use pressure, and let the tool do the work."

yes

if you do end up using a dremel, remember to take it outside. Hot or melting plexy is not the best air freshener and the smell can linger for hours.
    ***Impossible means it will just take more time***

ATX Mental Case

i also recommend a dremel.
    Comp Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    100GB HDD 7200 RPM SATA
    2x in SLI, 7600 GT 256 MB
    500W PSU

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pure_rock_fury
    if you do end up using a dremel, remember to take it outside. Hot or melting plexy is not the best air freshener and the smell can linger for hours.
    pure_rock_fury is completely right, the smell of melting/burning plexiglass is absolutely appalling.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case

I've found that if I cut PG on a tablesaw, I have good results when I sandwich the PG between two pieces of thin scrap plywood. You can use masking tape wrapped around all the pieces to hold them together-the blade cuts through the tape, but holds it together until you're through the cut, but watch those fingers.