Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Ripping!

Default DVD Ripping!

I have a bunch of DVDs lying around and I want to get them on my hard drive. I was wondering if there were any free ripping programs that the TBCS community would like to suggest?

Default Re: DVD Ripping!

DVD fab5, the trial version is FTW. The program itself is marvelous.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Handbrake.

maybe use AnyDVD for the CSS encryption.

Or DVDFAb 5 or above.

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

I also use anydvd and the clonedvd program. both have free 30 day trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

It's expensive, but I also would highly recommend anyDVD. As for what you do after that, personally I like to just keep the straight rip. That lets me keep the absolute best quality, and storage is so cheap right now, there's no reason not to, imo. If you prefer to rip it down though, I also liked handbrake, though it's been a couple years since I used it..I imagine it's probably worlds better now than I remember it being..and I remember it being pretty good
    Last edited by SgtM; 10-04-2009 at 07:17 AM.

This is a gray area that can go wrong real quick, although intentions are good, so I'll say this just once. You can only do this with DVD's that you own.

Now that that's out of the way, I use DVD Decrypter to make a straight ISO of the disk, and mount the image with Daemon Tools.

Daemon tools is a must-have piece of software. one of my most used on my desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    This is a gray area that can go wrong real quick, although intentions are good, so I'll say this just once. You can only do this with DVD's that you own.
    Thanks, you make a good point, but I figured that since he opened with "I have some lying around that I want to rip to my computer" that there shouldn't be a problem. That being said, and not to rain on anyone's parade, but US Copyright laws relating to this are royally fubar. Too many lobbyist or something, idk, but last time I looked into it (granted, a year or so ago, but I would think any major changes would have made huge waves):

having an 'archival copy': legal
    downloading that 'archival copy': illegal (civil)
    breaking CSS/AACS/etc encryption: illegal (civil) (regardless of whether you own the DVD or not)
    having the software to break said encryption: legal
    making and distributing the software to break said encryption: illegal (civil)

Like I said, royally fubar, but like SgtM said, a very gray area. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted, or even charged or anything, if they only rip their personal discs that they own, and don't share them or upload them, or anything. Hopefully legislation will change eventually, but who knows when that will happen. For now I say we operate within the spirit of the law, and only rip stuff we own, to our personal systems, for use only on our personal LANs.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Now that that's out of the way, I use DVD Decrypter to make a straight ISO of the disk, and mount the image with Daemon Tools.
    In the spirit of full disclosure, I feel obligated to point out that while DVD Decrypter is an awesome program (getting a little outdated, but still awesome), it is technically illegal to distribute it. Back in June 2005 (shortly after the UK passed their DMCA equivalent), Macrovision UK approached Lightning UK (the author of DVD Decrypter) with choice: either you let us buy all source/licensing/distribution/etc rights to DVD Decrypter, or we're gonna prosecute you for writing it. Now, as anyone in his position would do, he chose to sell it, and Macrovision promptly revoked all distribution rights. It's a little hazy whether they can revoke usage rights to already distributed copies though, anyone with a more in-depth understanding of the case and the legal precedent, I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
    a few links about the acquisition:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6501.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7056.cfm

Sorry in advance if I killed this thread

Honestly DVD shrink the the best, it dosen't convert into other formats, but it will take the DVD and either rip an ISO, rip the VOB files and shrink them, remove menus, languages, subtitles, edit the play order, crop the film.

I would recommend it

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    Honestly DVD shrink the the best, it dosen't convert into other formats, but it will take the DVD and either rip an ISO, rip the VOB files and shrink them, remove menus, languages, subtitles, edit the play order, crop the film.

I would recommend it
    Oops.. you're right. I have DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Usually use DVD Shrink.