Thread: Simple Window Mod

Default Simple Window Mod

Hi guys. I mentioned in a post earlier in the chat section about doing a Window mod with the NOD insignia within in. I am completely new to the modding business, however I am really good at building PCs, software etc etc.
    You fantastic people replied back to me and said that I should start on Windows and lighting.

I would like to request what tools you would need for a window mod and for modding in general? I live in the UK so is there anywhere I can get the tools without buying online (not that I really mind doing so).

What materials I will need?

And how I would go about doing it?

I was thinking of doing a simple rectangular red or blue plexiglass shape and should that be successful, cut out the NOD insignia. Lols and should that work add some lighting, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself yet.

Anyway as usual thank you guys sooo much for answering my questions in advance you guys rock for taking time out to help people. Really appreciated!
    zey needed someone with a science background!

TF2 out of a job

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Simple Window Mod

Only thing you really need for windows is a dremel and a hand-file. There's no need to spend a fortune on a brand name dremel either - I have a Pro Power from B&Q and it's the best multi-tool I've ever owned. Maplin regularly has them on special too with free accessory kits - just make sure you get a corded one - the cordless ones can be more hassle than they're worth.

The scorpion tail will be quite a challenge for a first window - but it's definitely do-able. Personally I'd think about making the base of the tail connect to the bottom to make it stronger although that'd make it less authentic. Other wise you'll end up having to find a way to glue the middle section (or sections) into place, which again, is definitely do-able

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I recommend you start simple and practice cutting on scrap material. Like slaveofconvention said get a high speed rotary tool like a Dremel or decent off brand. They are great for cutting most any material with the right cut wheels. They also have engraving attachments for making stuff like logos in windows.

To learn how to mod things read through tutorials and worklogs.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Thanks very much for the advice guys!
    zey needed someone with a science background!

TF2 out of a job