Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freaky Mobile Phone

Default Freaky Mobile Phone

Ok guys, I have a serious question.

I have a pretty common phone, a Sony Ericsson. Here's a link. Now something that's been happening with this phone, and this phone only, is that it's burning my leg.

I normally keep my phone in my front or back pocket of my jeans. Sometimes, although it is rare, I get this horrible burning pain exactly where the phone is that goes away whenever I take the phone out of my pocket. This pain has never happened before and only occurs when I'm carrying the phone. The pain feels like a cross between being pricked with needles and burning.

It leaves no marks on my leg, so other than my word there's no evidence that this actually happens. The phone shows no strange behaviour before of afterwards. All I know is that this freakin' phone is burning my leg and I don't know why. What's worse is that when I googled it, I couldn't find anyone else complaining of something similar.

I'm thinking about e-mailing Sony about this, but I think they'll write me off as a crackpot. Esteemed members of TBCS, what would you suggest I do in this situation?

Thanks,

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Freaky Mobile Phone

Erm, don't put it in your pocket? lol

I'm assuming, as you're confused about it, there's no obvious radiant heat from the phone itself?

Irrespective, I'd email sony and ask - it might be something they're aware of and worst case scenario, some people you don't know, and will never meet, might decide you aren't worth paying attention to - not a big loss to you...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

maybe some kind of electrical short going through your body from the phone? if yuo take the phone out an dits not warm that could be a possibility

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Is the phone hot when you take it out? It might be your battery. I'm on my phone so I haven't seen the phone you linked too.

-CollinstheClown

The phone isn't any warmer than I'd expect, being in the pocket of my jeans. It's kind of hard to describe-it feels a lot more like an electric shock than anything else, except it's slow and dull.

I probably should e-mail sony. I'll get back to you on this.

-Dave

Does the phone have a metal casing? My phone actually gets hot if I carry it in my pocket. Belt holster FTW for me.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well, you could try asking your service provider or phone provider if you can trade in the phone for either a newer model or a different model altogether. If the problem persists, then it wasn't just that phone which basically hints to any phone in general. But if the problem stops with any different phone, then it was probably just an electrical short or something of that nature.

Maybe try encasing it in something non-conductive, like plastic or something of that nature. See if the problem still persists then. Might give you a better idea of what's going on.

I've heard of stranger things happening, this isn't all that weird when you think about it. But it is the first time I've heard of something like this, burning or stinging without heat. It does smell a bit like contact with electricity though.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

do you get the same pain if you place the phone in your shirt pocket?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

RADIATION!!!

-CollinstheClown

Nah, it really only happens in the front-right pocket, which is where it's closest with the skin (only a thin layer of cotton). I never keep it in my shirt pocket, sometimes my jacket, but that's all. If the phone is 'insulated' then I don't have a problem.

Just in case I didn't make this clear, this is a random yet recurring phenomenon. I'd say it happens once a fortnight. I happened today worse than it ever has before, hence my finally getting off my ass and actually talking about it; my leg hurt for hours after. It actually does hurt quite a bit.

-Dave

EDIT: I might just go and talk to O2 about getting a new phone.