Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Xp mode

Overclocked

Default Windows 7 Xp mode

Ok I've been playing around with the so called compatibility of windows 7

First off I used to run

Vista 64 home preuim
    Virtual pc 2007 (xp ubuntu)

For some things would work others wouldn't so I upgraded to vmworkstation to get the old games that didn't work with virtual pc to work

So lets just start fresh install of windows 7 all updates installed the windows 7 virtual pc RC and xpm. After that I went well lets start with programs that don't run in vista or windows 7 but worked on virtual pc.. Found out they don't work. Then I tried a game solider of fortune doesn't work only in xp or with vmworkstation.

Over all Lots of stuff if its graphical based doesn't work in windows 7 xp mode also take into fact that not all your cpu will let you run it as well so your limited on what hardware you can use and with stuff not working I have to say it sucks over all. I got a dive computer to work with the xp mode but because its just tab based program it ran fine and would use the usb to do the downloading only works in xp not even vista with updates (small company)

Tried Works with Vmworkstation
    soldiers of fortune (Works)
    Lord Of The realm 2 (Works)
    Guild wars (works on vista and windows 7)
    Apeks dive computer (download through usb only thing that didn't work)

Tried With Virtual pc 2007 Xp installed
    soldiers of fortune (Nope doesn't work)
    Lord Of the Realm 2 (works)
    Guildwars (runs windowed only)
    Apeks Dive Computer (works fine)

Windows 7 Virtual pc rc (XP Mode)
    solider of fortune (Nope)
    Lord of the Realm 2 (Nope)
    Guild Wars (Nope)
    Apeks Dive computer (Yep)

Over all Not that impressed with windows 7 xp mode.. Things that I expected to work dont and things I expected to not work didn't. I was disapointed with the xp mode to the point that I dont really want windows 7 no real reason to do it since I was useing vista with vmworkstaion. Now I could use vmworkstation and run it in a virtual machine not a seapreate windows like xpm can but with alot of stuff not being able to run I dont see the point. All the stuff that didnt work with windows 7 for me doesnt work in the virtual machine so I dont personaly see a point to geting windows 7 for that reason and saying compatablity is the main selling feature is shooting your self in the foot because if it doesnt work its going to piss alot of people off when they try it

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 7 Xp mode

Guild Wars is XP only?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

No, it's not. GW is running just fine in Vista, 7 and Ubuntu if you know what you're doing.

XP mode was implemented not for gamers they could care less about but all the business customers that won't upgrade if it won't support their ancient, non-standards following applications. They spend a lot more money than us.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    No, it's not. GW is running just fine in Vista, 7 and Ubuntu if you know what you're doing.

XP mode was implemented not for gamers they could care less about but all the business customers that won't upgrade if it won't support their ancient, non-standards following applications. They spend a lot more money than us.
    GW runs fine for me in almost every windows OS (except windows server 2008 32 bit...).

I've been doing some testing for a couple of our customers and so far none of the clients applications will work with Windows 7. We have even had several conference calls with Microsoft tech support and developers to no avail. Solution? Windows XP embedded.

In order to get their apps to work 100%, they are going to have to rewrite some code and push the people they buy some key HW components from to do the same. I keep telling them to look towards Linux to prevent these kinds of situations, but so far only one of about 15 systems has been moved to linux (the easy one).

That said, I love windows 7. Everything I load runs fine or better on windows 7.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

/\ This.

No virtualization product on the market is actually designed for gaming. A couple will do ok with some stuff, but most will fall flat on their face if you try and throw any even remotely recent games at them.

If you're wanting to game in a VM, I would recommend VirtualBox (free) or VMWare Workstation if you can afford it ($180). Both products now support up to DirectX 9.0, and really low level interaction with your hardware. I haven't done anything with VirtualPC myself, but most of the people I talk to who have used it haven't been very happy with it.

All virtual machines are slow. I've been using VirtualPC 2007 for a couple of years but I do nothing intensive in it. Mainly IRC, MSN and some browsing, works perfect for my needs.

Frankly, if you want old games to work, talk to the developers. btw, DosBOX is still the only emulator I need.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Overclocked

Ive found problems with stuff that runs for busness I had to test for a dive shop that was thinking of upgradeing and their programs wouldnt run as well its 8mb of video card the lord of the realm 2 runs in dos... no mouse needed.. its that old dos box can emulate it the windows xp mode is very limited..

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    Guild Wars is XP only?
    no it works in windows 7 but it was for testing newer stuff that use graphics didnt expect it to work but I expected lord of the realm 2 to work its very old and runs off the cd in dos if you really want too..

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    /\ This.

No virtualization product on the market is actually designed for gaming. A couple will do ok with some stuff, but most will fall flat on their face if you try and throw any even remotely recent games at them.

If you're wanting to game in a VM, I would recommend VirtualBox (free) or VMWare Workstation if you can afford it ($180). Both products now support up to DirectX 9.0, and really low level interaction with your hardware. I haven't done anything with VirtualPC myself, but most of the people I talk to who have used it haven't been very happy with it.
    well the games are just like other programs.. not everything thats not a game will work as well the only thing is I dont have anything that I know doesnt work to test with out pulling out the floppy disks.. some programs wont work the same as the old game yes it wasnt built for games.. but.. considering the game is from dos age.. and requires nothing spec wise to run.. it tells you something and the fact that it works in virtual pc 2007 which is the basicly the same thing tells you they screwed up..

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    well the games are just like other programs.. not everything thats not a game will work as well the only thing is I dont have anything that I know doesnt work to test with out pulling out the floppy disks.. some programs wont work the same as the old game yes it wasnt built for games.. but.. considering the game is from dos age.. and requires nothing spec wise to run.. it tells you something and the fact that it works in virtual pc 2007 which is the basicly the same thing tells you they screwed up..
    I was referring to graphics primarily. I have yet to see a program that doesn't require direct hardware control (graphics, some network diagnostic stuff, etc) that doesn't work in VMware and VirtualBox. If fact, a lot of stuff that does require direct hardware access of the CPU even works just fine with recent versions of the virtualization programs.

Also, btw, we have a 'multi-quote' button for a reason.