Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alienware missing the mark?

Default Alienware missing the mark?

What do you think of the new Alienware computers? I'm not sure how I feel about the Aurora or Aurora ALX. mATX, really? There are some things I like and some I don't. I really like the redesigned laptops. They look good and "stealth mode" is a really good feature which throttles back the CPU and GPU so that the laptop runs on 65W. Nice!

My laptop would be $3500
    My Aurora ALX would be $5200

In either case it looks like they are moving in a new direction.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Alienware missing the mark?

I like pretty much everything about Alienware lately. They're really focusing on high-end gaming rigs and the new designs looks pretty cool. The only thing I don't like are the high price tags. lol

I'll miss the old laptop designs though, those were awesome. They still are. The chassis alone go for a small fortune on ebay. But I also like the new chassis just fine as well, even if they are a bit ginormously humongous.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

A note on that, you can get a chassis on the alienware website for ~$200. Not bad IMO.

I gotta be honest, that laptop reminds me of the IBM Thinkpad. When I think high-end gaming laptop, I do not think IBM Thinkpad.

If you hadn't noticed that before, I may have ruined it for you. Sorry!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I'll admit it, I'm inspired by the motor-driven top ventilation in the ALX. Outside of that, steaming pile of meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

They both have keyboards, a screen and are a bit squarish? lol I can't see the resemblance at all... probably a good thing I suppose.

Here's a review just for kicks and giggles. Apparently the screen isn't all that, but the beast performs just as well as it looks. And at the size of a small car, it better!

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5234
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I just like the fact that they sell a 15" laptop (more my size, 17" is huge) that is 1920x1200. I love that.

I just don't find the price attractive. MacBook Pro 17" = $2500 with 3 GHz core2duo and many GB of memory, extremely wide color gamut LED backlit display.

That laptop is thicker than Rosie O'Donnell's jelly rolls.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    I just don't find the price attractive. MacBook Pro 17" = $2500 with 3 GHz core2duo and many GB of memory, extremely wide color gamut LED backlit display.

That laptop is thicker than Rosie O'Donnell's jelly rolls.
    Well, with a 2.8. Looks like that has a pretty-good GF9600M, a slower HDD (but a larger one) by default, and a higher standard resolution. I'm equipping these comparably, though - same processor, RAM, hard drive speed/capacity, resolution, and so forth. I won't be including an extra battery for the Alienware because the MBP isn't capable of this. I'm using the standard warranties (fight about that if you like) and you can add another $49 to the Alienware's final total if you want a real recovery disc (which is pure-grade refined BS). Office '07 for the Alienware was $20 cheaper than '08 for the Mac, but I still ignored it. I could add a 24" LCD for $279/$899 respectively but again disregarded this option.

$2,224 for the Alienware, $2,549 for the MacBook. The cheaper Alienware offers a more powerful video card and a replaceable (but probably weaker) battery; the MacBook is easier to transport and, of course, ships with Snow Leopard.

I'd hesitate to call either a "deal".

Both machines have:
    2.8 C2D
    4GB DDR3-1066
    500GB 7200RPM HDD
    17" 1920x1200 screen
    Slot-loading DVD+RW
    Serious geek cred in the right unwashed circles

The 'Pro has a GeForce 9600M/512MB, the M17x a GTX 260/1GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yeah, I'd say the main thing you're getting with the Alienware is the GTX260 and the name (though the name has lost pretty much any credence it once had...). I wouldn't say I'm a proponent of either, but the MBP is supposed to get pretty crazy battery life. For a better cost comparison, maybe upgrade the M17x's battery to something that gets the same time.