Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: First "starter" mobo

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Default First "starter" mobo

I have searched endlessly around this forum board and others to find a good starter mobo.
    Is this a good mobo to start out with or should i get better?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130229
    I understand the problem with the Pci e 2.0 slot being too close to the DDR locking switches but i was thinking of trying to avoid complications by getting a low profile videocard.

Default Re: First "starter" mobo

Computer would be used for multi-tasking/gaming. Main game would probably be BattleField 2.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

What processor are you planning on using? Socket 775? Any reason for that, such as you have a pre-existing processor that you plan on using or do you plan on buying a new one along with a new motherboard?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I'll be buying a new processor. This will kind of "bang for your buck" type of a build.

Alrighty, just a second and I'll dig out the best mobo for a "best bang for buck".

What processor are you planning on? Do you need on-board graphics or are you going to supply your own graphics card? Some motherboards come with a display port and some don't, so its important to know what your planning graphics wise. It'd be a real shame to get a new motherboard and not be able to use it because you can't connect your monitor to it! lol

Are you planning on using 2 RAM sticks or 4?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Also, do you need a specific size? or can your computer case accept pretty much any size motherboard? How many PCI-E x16 (graphics card slot) do you need or want?

Yea, i'd be getting a graphics card rather than on board.
    Probably 2 x 2gb ram sticks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115206
    Also thinking about that process but who knows....still alot of research to go. Haha.

Case wise i'll probably go with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147073

As for PCI e x16 slots, i was thinking that mobo that i listed above, as of right now i don't need somethin fancy.

Well, I'd say go with any one of these boards. They're all pretty good and best yet, they're very affordable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...128356&bop=And

I'm a pretty big fan of Gigabyte. They make pretty solid boards, are usually overclockable, look nice, are affordable and are just great starter boards. You really can't go wrong with them.

I wouldn't pick one out just yet though, wait until others come along and give you their opinions as well. A lot of people around here know quite a bit more about motherboards than I do. I just know whats good/best value and whats compatible with what, but that's about it. :p (Example: I don't know whats the best chipset or which is the best for overclocking, stuff like that. The fine details basically. lol)