View Poll Results: What Prize Would get you to Submit a Mod?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • +Reps from the entire staff

4 22.22%
  • Software

0 0%
  • Hardware

12 66.67%
  • A Computer system

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Real Modding Contest?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default A Real Modding Contest?

Would anyone here be able to compete in a real modding contest? It seems like all contests lately (everywhere, not just here) are all drawn/sketchup contests. What would have to be the prize to actually mod something?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: A Real Modding Contest?

Depends really having a physical gift drives traffic. Making people mod can be quite hard I feel it has to scale to prizes vs effort. So a whole PC system for an actual full mod contest. but then maybe just some software for a sketchup contenst or a cheap piece of hardware like a tv tuner or something.
    Need a sig

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I think people will mod if they want/can afford to and a competition is usually icing on the cake when there's real time/cost involved. I entered the coolermaster competition this year but only because I already had K-9 in the works - time and money (and lobo) have conspired to make the deadline impractical, well impossible for me.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Actually there is a contest coming up where you actually mod something. More info to be posted later.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Maybe we should just strike a deal with a couple companies where we give their products away to new front page mods or something? Actual modding contests never seem to work from what I've seen. But I think that would be a pretty neat idea. I've seen websites do it before, where they give away stuff to commenters. Free publicity for the company and free stuff for people, its a win win.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Oh yeah, sure - suggest that a week AFTER I get a front page mention *storms off in a grumpy mood*

I would mod for hardware or a full system. Getting a free monitor would be great.

I suggested the idea of doing a thumb drive contest. They are simple and cheap (free often enough). It makes it easy for everyone to participate. The prize wouldn't have to be big for something like that either.

I do understand TGS's point though - there's just been a big nvidia sponsored design only competition on another forum, and the toolchest compo here is design only - it's be nice to see something a little more physical - especially if it'd be in time for me to put Lobo in lol

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I think it should vary according to the challenge.
    Design challenge, software prize.
    Mod a specific item, Hardware prize.
    Mod a case, complete system prize.
    It makes sense, and is the most feasible, really. It's not realistic to give away a whole system every time, and I think the rep system is fine, and a +rep from the staff everytime someone wins means there will be a lot of people with topped out rep in a hurry.
    just my $0.02
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

There will be something announced at the end of this week. Keep your eyes on the front page.