Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSDN vs Technet

Default Re: MSDN vs Technet

Hmm.. you might qualify for VLK (but maybe not if each one goes to a different owner..)if you need 20 copies.. I'd talk to a MS sales rep, and see what they can do for you. If everyone is building their own computer already, and you need 20 copies, you might get a screaming good discount.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

If it's all about building computers and learning to install operating systems on the new computers, then I would go with 7 Beta, or even ubuntu or something. Unless the course description specifically said you guys covered the cost of the OS, and even at that, a windows OS, then that is what I would do.

All you need to do is teach them the skillset they'd need to build and set up a pc. Let them use beta or linux to learn, then it's on them to apply that skillset for when they purchase an OS themselves.

Assuming there wasn't an agreement for the school/class to provide a full working win7 RTM OS.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Unfortunately, you can't get new license keys for the Windows 7 RC anymore. That's why I suggested just running in unlicensed mode.

EDIT: Remember, it's launching on October 22nd, so them cutting license registrations shouldn't be unexpected.

If he wants a License key for Windows 7 RC, he can ask. That generator just gave out the same keys over and over again.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Another thing to consider with the beta/RC keys is that they will start shutting down every two hours on (iirc) April 31st, then completely disable the OS on (iirc) July 31st.

Well, It is for a highschool class, and these computers are going to be used and taken home and such, so its not like any of the others would have any idea what linux is or how to use it. The main reason I want to do this is to minimize the costs, but I will be sure to try and contact an MS sales rep. I did get a key from MS for the RC today, if your right crenn its useless, but I can probably torrent a copy of the RC. The one problem with that is upgrade. I would preferably want to upgrade from that to the actual copy.

Most of this has been mentioned here, but I will summarize since I have a personal Technet account and an MSDN account for work.

The keys are tied to the person who owns either account. They never expire. You get 10 of each product key for pretty much every M$ product and they can be activated on different hardware ten times each. They do not get deactivated if you cancel your subscription.

If they detect that you are giving away keys to other people (they do monitor what IP addresses the pc is activated from but not what addy's they connect from later), they will cancel your account and blacklist you from ever having another one. They will also pursue legal options depending on the severity of the infraction. M$ is brutal with licensing. Especially with the developer accounts.

They keys and software are intended for development purposes, but if you use them for your home machines, they will not question it, in most cases. With MSDN account keys, they also allow production use to a certain extent, but frown upon it. If you use the software in production for an extended period of time, they expect you to purchase a retail license.

Your best bet is to contact a reseller and ask for a student discount. All of my sales guys are gone for the weekend otherwise I would get you pricing myself. Depending on the product, you can get some pretty good deals. Right now Windows 7 is not available for sale so that is out anyway. You can get windows vista that comes with a free win7 upgrade certificate.

Hope this helps.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Well I contact CDW and MSDNAA and all either of them had for education was Win7 pro. Now I'm looking for Home premium Full so that won't exactly work.

Airbozo, do you know when there will be pricing on Win7 HP?

Why do you need Home Premium? If you can get Pro at a discounted rate, where's the problem? According the MS, Pro includes everything that Home Premium does...plus a lot.

I guess I should have mentioned how they only had upgrade licenses. Well at the moment I guess MS hasn't released pricing for the Full.