Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Well the main reason I got the 6.2 was the price. It's got 70,000 on it and got it for $200 complete. The only things missing is the starter, alternator and ps pump. What I'm doing with it a Cumming wouldn't fit, too tall. It's goin in my Impala.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Bad news, good news, great news.

Bad news is that this hasn't moved much. I pulled the heads off the 350. Looking at it she is NICE inside. Very clean, and you can still see all the hone marks clear as day. This is all I have done though...

The good news is a friend of the family has a Blazer he is going to let me steal parts off of. I'm taking the front springs that have brand new bushings in them. Also if I need anything else I have something to take the parts from.

The great news is that I may have found a way to get enough money together to hopefully get a 5.9 Cummins to put in it. More info on this later. But basically I'm looking for a 12-Valve with the matching 5-speed. More info on this later. Hope it works out.

Sorry, no pictures.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Good news! Got my Engine! A 6.5L N/A HO diesel from a van. Got the van too lol. It was interesting driving to down-town Baltimore in a roll back to pick up a van from a crackhead-looking contractor that I'll bet he went straight to the dealer with the money that was given to him. But, I got my title to the van, and I'm happy. I also got a 4l80E I can put up on the CL if I want the extra cash. Anyone need one?

So, anyway, got a 6.5 N/A. Runs fine, solid engine. I just need to pick up a flywheel to mate it to my Muncie. My plan for now is to just get it on the road. So I'm going to go over the 6.5 and check all the normal stuff. Injectors, and such. And run it like this. I know the engine, I know how it is going to run. It isn't going to run like the 450HP Cummins I drive now, but then again I'm not hot rodding here. In a truck that ways under 7000lb's it will run fine.

But not to say I'll never do anything to it. After I can get my girl something for a driver I may pull the 6.5 back out and start working on it. Start with the block. SCAT crank, studs all around, porting, anything I can do to help oiling, and if I can't get the compression down low enough with gaskets I'll put lower compression rings. I want it to 18:1 roughly. Then start bolting things on. marine injectors, remove the electronic IP for a big marine mechanical pump, new larger plumbing, electric lift pump (regulated), and other "Tweaks." But the biggest thing is twin turbos. Why? Because I'd rather run twins then try to screw with that retarded cross-over system for the driver size... Twin turbos running 25psi through a innercooler. Yummy! Then I'll run it until some thing breaks. I don't even care what numbers it will output. This is simply the combo I had in my head. But I can pretty much tell you that it would have enough power to keep up with any of these yuppies running just a tuner thinking they got a hot rod... Takes a lot more time to make make power on a mechanical, let alone the 6.5L. That everyone considers "Old."

Off my soap box now. No real pictures. I can upload a picture if anyone wants. It is a '95 Vandura 3500. Nothing amazing.

I'll be fiddling with the truck soon. I'm going to prep the firewall, and get it ready so I can drop the engine in. Then just go ahead and paint the frame. If I have to touch it up later, oh well... I can't be screwing around anymore. Need to get it going. Then I'll go get the front axle I am getting for it.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Updates for all!

This evening I was pretty much just sitting around bored so I popped on my shoes, and went to fiddle with the truck. I Cleaned the fire wall up, and sprayed it with flat black paint. Nothing amazing, but it was something that needed to be done. Did it in three sections. two corners, and the tunnel. Pulling junk off as I went. Next I am going to get some paint to do the frame, and then I'm probably gonna bolt the clutch brackets on. Plus still pull all the useless junk on the firewall off. Like the stuff for the 700R4, and the vacuum can. All that useless crap.

Not perfect, and not the the fanciest. Although I'm not Chip Foose, and this isn't a show truck.

Before:

After:

Done(ish):

I need to pull the 6.5 soon. My Mom is getting unhappy lol. Need to get the van out of here.

Some interesting news is I might be getting a first-gen Ram 150 for a trade. It has a fresh 360 to go in it, and both a 727 Auto, or a 4-speed. I'll take pictures when I go to look at it!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Productive Sunday! I had gotten the bench seat out yesterday. This morning got the truck pulled in the shop. Where I continued to finish gutting the inside. All panels, the carpet, and anything else that was in the way.

All the panels I took out.

What I found under the seat belts...

I watched Zombieland last night.

Junk is gone. All the panels I took out will not be going back in. Who needs them?

Next I'm going to finish rigging the clutch. Then pull the steering column out of the old truck, and put in this one. Then I'm going to paint the frame. After this I can pull the 6.5, and get it ready to drop in.

Making progress.

Side note:

I decided I want to try and build something I remember seeing a while back. With some quick searching I was able to find it. Pretty much a simple system to shorten the shift. The only thing I see not right is the heim joint. It is mounted to the floor, not the tranny/case. Logic suggests to me that the second you get twisted up you are either going to slip into neutral, or bust the top loader.

So I'll see what I can do about this. I may wait until I'm done with the truck. Simple enough to make though.

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

The saga continues. And nobody cares.

Over the last few days I've gotten the frame coated in sealer. I need to pick up the paint for the frame to finish that.

I went to pull the steering column out of the other truck, but I was warned that a snake was seen around the truck. Ok, no big deal. So before I started pulling the seat I decided to poke around. First I found a snake skin wrapped around the transfer case shifter. Huh... Ok, well lets see if anyone is home. Under the seat? Nope. What about behind it? Huh, a old jacket. Under the jacket maybe? *Lift* Oh, yep! There he is! About a three-foot black snake. Past that, it is a long story. Tried to kill him, but he got away... So no steering column for me yet. Gonna go back later and take care of the problem.

I then modified the little tunnel piece to hold both pedals properly. I just need to get a longer bolt.

Sorry for the dark/blurry pictures. The blur is moisture on the lens. The dark is the shop lol.

And here is a interesting bit of info I picked up. I was sitting around with my Dad talking about the truck. He brought up tuning the engine later. I said what I would really like to do is get my hands on a Detroit 4-92 down the road. To which he replies "Well, your uncle has one sitting back on the farm." WUT? "It is either a 4-92, or 71. I don't remember." This could get interesting...

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

What are you going to paint the frame with? I used a product called Chassis Saver on the truck I'm working on. It can be either sprayed or brushed on and is very durable. It's used for coating repairs on semi frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    What are you going to paint the frame with? I used a product called Chassis Saver on the truck I'm working on. It can be either sprayed or brushed on and is very durable. It's used for coating repairs on semi frames.
    Yea, i'd suggest that or if you could try to find bad rust spots and cut them out and weld a new piece of metal in.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    The sealer I sprayed is stuff by a company called Superco Specialty Products called Convert-A. I'm going to paint the frame, and axles with Rust-Oleum Hammered. Sprayed in hard to reach areas, and rolled everywhere else. The body I'm undercoating.

My frame is in top shape. No bad metal. Just light surface rust. That is all rust stopping agents are meant for anyway. Not rot. I wire wheeled the frame, and sprayed it. The wheel knocks any surface rust off. Rot should always be repaired. For a frame I would cut the rot out, and plate over it. That is the easiest, and strongest way to go. Although for things like these old trucks I'd also be hunting for a new frame. Which is why I'm using this one. My old frame was rotted out from years of plow duty.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

coming along quite nicely... make sure you post exhaust clips from your diesel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER