Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Apple Event @ 11am MST.. who's watching?

Default Re: Apple Event @ 11am MST.. who's watching?

Maybe the next revision will dump that same functionality into the touch. I can see why they did it though.. who'd buy a Nano if the Touch had all the goodies in it?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

That was incredibly disappointing.

Forget the Shuffle, the Sansa Clip is without a doubt, hands-down better and now they even have a new Clip model out. (or coming out?) AND its almost half the price of the Shuffle.

Now on to the stuff thats actually worth buying...

iPod Nano - Gets a camera and radio. Pretty cool, but Nano's aren't really my thing anymore. I'm more into the pocket PC-ish type PMP's these days and I think thats largely the future of PMP's. Touch and Zune HD FTW!

iPod Classic - Didn't get rid of it, smart move. Kind of boring though, wish they would have done SOMETHING with it. But cool that they kept it, like I said, smart move.

Now for probably the most important out of the entire line and most anticipated...

iPod Touch - Dropped the 16GB model, added a 64GB model, no camera, no radio, OpenGS and 50% faster for 32GB and 64GB models.

In other words, complete bull****. Why would you drop the 16GB model over the 8GB model? Why only give the speed boost for the 32GB and 64GB versions? WHY IS THERE NO CAMERA? There is one on the nano and on the iphone, but not the touch? W.T.F? Even a radio would have been nice...

As for the price drop... oh yay, its now $200 instead of $220-$230. That's cool, although hardly worth mentioning.

I would have seriously went out and bought a new Touch if they would have added a camera or dropped the 8GB for the 16GB or even if they would have added a radio, and especially for all three. But not now. Screw that. The only reason why they didn't add anything real to the Touch is to promote the sales of the iPhone or at the very least not take away from it at all. Then they drop the 16? Why do that? Because lets compare the 8GB to the 32GB and 64GB, huge difference! And pretty much totally worth spending MORE for them. Thats why they dropped the 16, to get people to spend more for the 32 and 64 models.

I guess Apple will never change. I don't mind them being pricey, but I do mind when they purposely screw over their customers like that so they can maximize their profits. Do that without the BS next time apple.

Has the Zune gotten an app store yet? Its looking more and more tempting...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Zune HD 16GB - $220.

Zune HD 32GB - $290.

iPod Touch 16GB - $300.

I think I'll be buying a Zune in the near future. The Apps are nice and I'll miss them, but I think it's only a matter of time at this point. There's no reason to not open up an app store. Other than the lacking of apps, it seems like the Zune has more features too. ...well, it has Radio, thats about it really. But I'd rather have it than not. Now to just wait for their app store...

Edit: Wait, it also has nVidia Tegra. And that is a pretty nice feature once they start really utilizing it.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I think they kept the 8gb model just to get that lower price point. When you consider the wifi and the added functionality features, like Remote, etc, the 8gb touch is a pretty killer device.

I can understand why they dropped the 16. For me, the 8gb is plenty of capacity, since I dont watch video on my ipod. If I did, 16gb wouldnt be worth the price, and I would have gone straight to the 32gb anyways. Now that the 64gb is out, that's really for people who live through their ipod.

The touch was always just a portal device for me anyways, I rarely stored much on it (when I had one) and mostly used it for surfing, streaming, and remote functionality. I agree that they should have added more of the functionality of the Nano into the Touch, but I think you nailed it.. who would buy the iphone if the touch could do all the same stuff (and run VOIP)?

I think the reason we dont see big capacity on the iphone is the potential for theft (more to lose), the possibility of running up huge data charges (downloading stuff. "I've got space, I'll get that"), etc. I dont think the iphone has wifi either does it?

I'm sure that will be the next big announcement from Apple anyways.. camera on the touch! No more 8gb touch! 8gb shuffle!

I can still see a huge market for the shuffle and the nano, so I doubt very much they'll go away. Yes, there are other options out there, but I had my hands on a Sansa clip yesterday, and I'd still take the Nano over it. The shuffle? Probably not.. I dont really like the control scheme and the lack of a screen. YMMV.

Even the Ipod classic still has a relevant market. I have a friend with a 120gb model, and its FULL. He's got his whole library on it.. even though I'm sure he never listens to some of his stuff. The classic is really for the storage freaks.. no doubt about it. How long until we see a 250gb classic? Or an SSD based one? Probably not long.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I think they kept the 8gb model just to get that lower price point. When you consider the wifi and the added functionality features, like Remote, etc, the 8gb touch is a pretty killer device.

Agree that its a killer device and I love mine to death (probably why I'm a bit upset about all this), but then why is the Zune HD 16GB only $220 while the Touch 8GB is $200? Aside from Apps, isn't the Zune HD technically better and offers more features? HD Radio, nVidia Tegra... it does have a slightly smaller screen I suppose, but I doubt that plays a real difference in price.

http://www.iphonespies.com/apple-news/ipod-review/zune-hd-vs-ipod-touch-2g/

I can understand why they dropped the 16. For me, the 8gb is plenty of capacity, since I dont watch video on my ipod. If I did, 16gb wouldnt be worth the price, and I would have gone straight to the 32gb anyways. Now that the 64gb is out, that's really for people who live through their ipod.

The 16GB should be around $200, the current price of the new 8GB. If Zune HD could do it, then why can't Apple? Zune HD is basically brand new while the Touch has been around for quite awhile so you would think that the Touch would be the better deal... I just can't see any real reason why they would drop the 16GB and keep the 8GB, other than to maximize profits at the expense of their consumers.

The touch was always just a portal device for me anyways, I rarely stored much on it (when I had one) and mostly used it for surfing, streaming, and remote functionality. I agree that they should have added more of the functionality of the Nano into the Touch, but I think you nailed it.. who would buy the iphone if the touch could do all the same stuff (and run VOIP)?

Well, people who would want to seriously make calls. VOIP isn't a very good replacement at all and it only works when you have WiFi. I still think this is their reasoning, but I think its foolish. I don't think they have anything to really worry about. There are enough desirable features on the iPhone to get the iPhone and its even pretty cheap to buy. Its those monthly plans that are the problem. Maybe they are just waiting to really revamp the Touch once the AT&T contract ends? I really hope so... although there will probably be better devices out by that time. Hell, if the Zune HD got Apps, that would be a better device now. They should of added the extra features, now that the market is catching up, they're going to be just like any other device aside from the well developed app store (which they won't be able to boast about for too much longer with the way that technology advances). A camera and a radio would have kept them on top for quite a bit longer, but they pretty much blew that chance. They better pray the ZHD doesn't get an app store... or jailbroken for that matter.

I think the reason we dont see big capacity on the iphone is the potential for theft (more to lose), the possibility of running up huge data charges (downloading stuff. "I've got space, I'll get that"), etc. I dont think the iphone has wifi either does it?

Yea the iPhone has WiFi. But most people are just kind of like, whats the point? Except when they want/need unlimited downloading.

I think they are just waiting for next year to realease the large capacity iPhones. Earlier this year was practically nothing, but that makes sense. Major upgrades every two years coincide with the two year contracts. Probably another reason why the Touch didn't get a whole lot of real features, they're probably waiting for next year since it SHOULD be a big year. We'll see I guess.

I'm sure that will be the next big announcement from Apple anyways.. camera on the touch! No more 8gb touch! 8gb shuffle!

I'd laugh so hard if the Shuffle got a camera. "How do I use this thing!? It have no buttons or even a screen!" lol

They'll tell you that you have to connect the Shuffle with a camera to a standalone camera to get it working. You know, just to make it that much more useless. lol

I can still see a huge market for the shuffle and the nano, so I doubt very much they'll go away. Yes, there are other options out there, but I had my hands on a Sansa clip yesterday, and I'd still take the Nano over it. The shuffle? Probably not.. I dont really like the control scheme and the lack of a screen. YMMV.

I'd take a Nano over a Sansa Clip any day too. lol That's not even a fair comparison. :p

I bought my friend a Nano (which he then bought an iPhone a month later lol) for Christmas last year. They're pretty nice. I don't see them going away anytime soon, but sometime clear down the road I don't think they'll be as big or maybe even still around. The Touch is very pocket-able and does much much more than the Nano. The Nano is really only good for playing music. I just can't see the desirability lasting much longer with all these new pocket-able PMP's coming out all the time. That's probably why they added in the camera and radio this year...

I think they're too expensive right now though. The camera is nice but basically useless on the Nano, the Radio is definitely a nice added feature. But $150 for 8GB? I just don't know about that... $119 would be a better price point. It'll probably drop to that here shortly though.

Even the Ipod classic still has a relevant market. I have a friend with a 120gb model, and its FULL. He's got his whole library on it.. even though I'm sure he never listens to some of his stuff. The classic is really for the storage freaks.. no doubt about it. How long until we see a 250gb classic? Or an SSD based one? Probably not long.

Oh yea, I totally agree here. That's why I said it was a smart move on Apple's part. 120GB for basically the same price of their 8GB Touch (or 16GB Zune HD) is an awesome deal if you don't need or want the features of a Touch. I could easily fill up a couple Classics. lol

EDIT: Woah woah woah... wait a minute here. Does the Touch not have an OLED screen? But the Zune HD does? And the Zune HD is considerably cheaper?

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS MACARONI DOODLE ART, GET THOSE ZUNES AN APP STORE!

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/11...ponents-found/

I don't even know what to say to this... very very interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    That was incredibly disappointing.

Forget the Shuffle, the Sansa Clip is without a doubt, hands-down better and now they even have a new Clip model out. (or coming out?) AND its almost half the price of the Shuffle.

Now on to the stuff thats actually worth buying...

iPod Nano - Gets a camera and radio. Pretty cool, but Nano's aren't really my thing anymore. I'm more into the pocket PC-ish type PMP's these days and I think thats largely the future of PMP's. Touch and Zune HD FTW!

iPod Classic - Didn't get rid of it, smart move. Kind of boring though, wish they would have done SOMETHING with it. But cool that they kept it, like I said, smart move.

Now for probably the most important out of the entire line and most anticipated...

iPod Touch - Dropped the 16GB model, added a 64GB model, no camera, no radio, OpenGS and 50% faster for 32GB and 64GB models.

In other words, complete bull****. Why would you drop the 16GB model over the 8GB model? Why only give the speed boost for the 32GB and 64GB versions? WHY IS THERE NO CAMERA? There is one on the nano and on the iphone, but not the touch? W.T.F? Even a radio would have been nice...

As for the price drop... oh yay, its now $200 instead of $220-$230. That's cool, although hardly worth mentioning.

I would have seriously went out and bought a new Touch if they would have added a camera or dropped the 8GB for the 16GB or even if they would have added a radio, and especially for all three. But not now. Screw that. The only reason why they didn't add anything real to the Touch is to promote the sales of the iPhone or at the very least not take away from it at all. Then they drop the 16? Why do that? Because lets compare the 8GB to the 32GB and 64GB, huge difference! And pretty much totally worth spending MORE for them. Thats why they dropped the 16, to get people to spend more for the 32 and 64 models.

I guess Apple will never change. I don't mind them being pricey, but I do mind when they purposely screw over their customers like that so they can maximize their profits. Do that without the BS next time apple.

Has the Zune gotten an app store yet? Its looking more and more tempting...
    The last few sentences were a little ironic, a little true. They do have an odd pricing, and I didn't get why they dropped the 16. I have one. Also, the video on the nano was kinda because it is small. They should have a camera on the touch, but it is probably too thin to do so.

However, I do like iTunes 9. The layout is much more streamlined.

Also, on a tangent, I don't really get the point in everything needing HD radio and all this GPS nonsense. Pretty soon, most everywhere is going to have public wireless access. I can walk down the street in charlotte and pick up around 30 different wireless networks at any given point in time. Pandora Radio/last.fm, anyone?
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    They should have a camera on the touch, but it is probably too thin to do so.

However, I do like iTunes 9. The layout is much more streamlined.

Also, on a tangent, I don't really get the point in everything needing HD radio and all this GPS nonsense. Pretty soon, most everywhere is going to have public wireless access. I can walk down the street in charlotte and pick up around 30 different wireless networks at any given point in time. Pandora Radio/last.fm, anyone?
    And what? The Nano isn't too thin? :p

Check out the link I posted above, there is a spot for a camera apparently. There is a rumor going around that its not there because of a lacking in quality control or some bs like that. Its a decent excuse I guess.

Its more about "why not" than needing it. I loved using the radio in my old creative pmp. There really isn't any reason to not have one in the touch. Its not a big deal or anything, but it would be nice to at least have the option. Concerning wifi... not everywhere has wifi. Larger cities have it around every corner sure, but like here in the US, large cities make up only like 10 percent or less of our country. That and radio works better than wifi radio in my opinion. GPS would be nice, but only if they use an actual gps chip and not over wifi. If its over wifi then its pretty much useless.

Its all about "why not" really. I mean really, why not?

You have heard of Zune Marketplace, right? Am I the only one here that has been reading?

All the major companies are making marketplaces for their respective brands. Nokia, Microsoft, RIM, etc.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

But does "Marketplace" offer apps? I thought it was just basically the iTunes of the Zune world at this point?