Thread: DELL motherboard...need pinout info f/USB

Fresh Paint

Default DELL motherboard...need pinout info f/USB

I have a DELL 4600 that I took the 0N2828 motherboard, drives, etc. and put them in a Thermaltake case. The case has a Media LAB and front panel USB and audio ports that connect to the DELL mobo. The connetors are different on the case wiring and do not fit the mobo connectors J9G1, J9C2 (http://tinyurl.com/c4zst).

DELL has been no help with the pinouts. I was on live chat for 50 minutes trying to get the info.

Does anyone know how to determine the pinouts on the connectors, especially the USB (DATA1, DATA2, GND, PWR)?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: DELL motherboard...need pinout info f/USB

Standard USB Cable Wiring Color Code

5V / Red

D+ / Green

D - / White

Ground / Black

Not sure if Dell follows these standards but might help.

Fresh Paint

DELL's cable coming from the 2 front USB ports terminates to a 10-pin connector:
    white-yellow-grey-black-blank
    brown-red-orange-black-green

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeckert
    DELL's cable coming from the 2 front USB ports terminates to a 10-pin connector:
    white-yellow-grey-black-blank
    brown-red-orange-black-green
    Code:
     .  .   .   .  .
     .  .   .   . 

^ 5v
        ^ +Data
            ^ -Data
                 ^ ^ Grounds

Fresh Paint

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Old thread I know but wanted to record this for others.

Wanted to fit a USB internal card reader to my DELL DIMENSION 1100 but header J9G1 has 9 wires connected to it!?

Turns out that to get this header to function correctly you need to connect wire 9 the green one to +5V to turn on the header.

I did this by removing one of the two +5v wires in the card reader plug and putting in into cavity 9. This gave the header +5v as the card reader had a common +5v connection.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lamb.chop View Post
    Old thread I know but wanted to record this for others.

Wanted to fit a USB internal card reader to my DELL DIMENSION 1100 but header J9G1 has 9 wires connected to it!?

Turns out that to get this header to function correctly you need to connect wire 9 the green one to +5V to turn on the header.

I did this by removing one of the two +5v wires in the card reader plug and putting in into cavity 9. This gave the header +5v as the card reader had a common +5v connection.

Cheers

Chris
    Another revival of this old thread, but Chris is totally correct. I'd been struggling with a Dell 4600 which would lock up if I connected a card reader to the USB header. I ohmed out the factory front USB connector and found that their green wire (the one connected under the plugged hole) was indeed connected to both +5V pins.

Unfortunately, my card reader didn't have a shared +5V line, so I could just move the other wire to connect to one of the +5V lines like Chris did. Instead, I soldered a jumper wire on my card reader, connecting pin 9 with pin 2.

I crossed my fingers, plugged it in and finally my card reader worked on my system.

Oddly, without the jumper wire it didn't lock up Linux, but did lock up Windows XP. I guess that Linux configures the on-board USB differently than windows does. Now, it works fine with both operating systems.

Jim