Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling materials....

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Water cooling materials....

Ok, I'm looking into water cooling. I'm currently using the ThermalTake Prowater 850i, but it has a copper block and aluminum radiator. Bad idea, I am told. I'm looking at a passive solution, but the heat exchangers I'm looking at are aluminum. I've looked but can't find anyone that makes aluminum CPU water blocks. ??? I've found aluminum blocks for VGA, chipset and MOSFETs but no CPU blocks. Does anyone have any idea if these even exist? I figure is the entire loop is aluminum, I can avoid the dreaded galvanic corrosion.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Water cooling materials....

Why not use anti-corrosive fluid?

While you're at it, you should replace your tubing with aluminum flat tubing as well. That'd be awesome! :p (If only it exist, oh well. lol)

Doesn't corrosion usually only happen when you mix metals? I may be just confused there. But if I'm not, then why not just go all copper? Would be easier I would think.

Maybe have one custom machined for you? Isn't there someone here on the forums that does that kind of work? I can't remember who... hey Paul, you have a lathe don't you? :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I could use anti-corrosive fluid, and probably will, but call me an extremist.

And yes it only happens when you mix metals, but the heat exchangers I have in mind only come in aluminum. I may actually end having an aluminum block machined, as crazy as that sounds.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I've got an older style TT rad, its got copper piping running through aluminum fins. the tubing is round though, not flat like the newer ones, but it works just fine

PM me, I have lots of avenues.

For the most part, there aren't really Al CPU blocks. You'd need to use an anticorrosive. I recommend G12 Pentosin, though if you can get it, G48 Glysantin is better-just much rarer.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

OK Chemistry class is a distant memory, but I thought the only issue with mixing metals is if they actually come in contact with each other.

Like in the mess I just removed from under my house. Where the previous owner replaced galvanized pipe with copper, he just connected it together. When I remodeled my bathroom, I used all copper, but I used isolation connectors to connect into the galvanized pipes. Several months ago I re-plumbed the entire house and taking off the isolation connectors was cake. The copper to galvanized had to be cut out (and was only letting through about 1/3 of the water).
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

i have a good feeling i know which passive rads your talking about, they don't work unless you have a feild of them.

they best way to go about it is getting a low fin count rad such as the XSPC RX**0 series, Black ice SR-1 series, Feser, or thermochill rads.

Triple 120mm
    ThermoChill PA 120.3
    XSPC RX360
    Feser X-Changer Triple 120 mm
    Black Ice SR1 360

those will all work well with low speed (and noise) fans and will give you great performance, much better then tt.

but i would also spend the money and redo the loop as well. that block is famous for cracking and the pump for dying prematurely.

and yes you can go mixed metals and use anti-corrosive fluids, but it will never stop the corrosion and why bother with the extra maintenance?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

i would ditch the whole tt thing. you would get better performance (and sleep better) with proper parts.

whats to be recomended?

laing ddc pump
    random tubing (i like tygon)
    compression fittings (bitspower is the hottest, but also the most expensive)
    cpu block: heatkiller 3.0, d-tek fuzion v.2 or pritty much any "high end" block. you get what you pay for.

and im with spawn... the alu in the loop will fu#k you up eventually.

my experience:
    ddc pumps with foam under is practicly silent.
    19 mm tubing or 9 mm tubing makes almost no difference, other than 9 mm is way easier to route
    destiled water + silver kill coil is great as fluid.

if you want anything else, or need help with putting together a loop, write in this thread, or pm me
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

@ Spawn & Pope: Thanks for the input and suggestions. When it comes to water cooling, you guys are both great at what you do. *But*, we're not trying to do the same thing.

I will never try to squeeze the last possible degree out of a water loop. I will never stress my system to the point that I need it. I'm not competing (with myself or anyone else) on temps. Appearance and style are far more important to me than maximum possible performance. If I can put together the loop I want (and I'm not even certain exactly what that is just yet, still experimenting), I don't care if it offers the best performance. I never overclock, so I really don't even care if it offers average performance. Adequate performance is fine with me. The CPU I have runs hot by default, I know, so I'll need some performance, but as long as the loop keeps the temp out of the danger zone I'll be happy. And I'd like to do it differently than most. If that means I need seven passive coolers somewhere, maybe that's what I'll do, but it's going to be something other than the usual setup.

I like your thinking. 7 passive radiators would be pretty sweet if you have the room for them. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER