Thread: My new desk...

Default My new desk...

After many years of using a _heavy_ old wooden desk meant to house a typewriter, I am upgrading to a new Studio RTA which should be here by the end of the week.

This desk will allow me to house all of my computers, monitors and music gear in one place. Hell I can even put my Yamaha keyboard on the desk with plenty of room.
    ...now to find room for my printer.

This means I am giving away my desk and getting rid of a small equipment rack with doors (glass on the front door).

This is one of many steps to de-clutter and clean up my office...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: My new desk...

wow nice desk!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Looks like a good one. Is it solid maple or laminate material?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Looks like a good one. Is it solid maple or laminate material?
    From everything I can tell, it is a laminate. The price would be double for solid maple... No big deal to me, but a couple of the reviews I have seen indicate the screws that hold on the casters are short and weak. This means a desk mod to fix the weakness.

Once I get it assembled and in place I will snap some photos and write a quick review. It will be good to gain some space in my office and have a place for the music gear.

EDIT: BTW, the main reason I went for this desk is the 19" rack space on both sides. This will house my amps, digital mixer and other effects with room for my computers.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

That's pretty nice! I think I like the other color better though. Plus the other color is cheaper and has free shipping! And at 150 pounds, man that's expensive shipping. $160 more (value of savings + free shipping) for the color that you want. I hate when companies do that. It makes sense to sell the ones that don't sell as well at a cheaper price to entice people, but man it gets under my skin when I could get a better deal but I won't just because I want a certain color. lol

Hope you like it! Make sure to give us the skinny once you get it.

By the way, I'm currently using a $20 Shopko entertainment stand. I've upgraded from using a cardboard box, woot! lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Actually Musicians Friend has free shipping and a free gift (monitor isolation pads). They even have a used one for $50 off. Considering the used one could have some scratches and is not returnable, I was not willing to take the chance.

One thing that bugs me (and I am not sure why it bugs me so much) is that they advertise "Dual 20-space racks". This is the 19" racks on either side, but since a 1U space is 1.75" the rack space should be 35" (each side), not the 24" that it really is (11U).

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

When I open my studio this is going to be the desk that goes in my office. I am going to try and get it in brushed aluminum. Lian Li had it in that color a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    When I open my studio this is going to be the desk that goes in my office. I am going to try and get it in brushed aluminum. Lian Li had it in that color a while back.
    That is a nice looking desk.

Not enough room for my equipment though. If I didn't have so many computers and rack mounted gear, that would be an option.

That desk is giving me evil thoughts! Build several identical gaming rigs in rack-mount cases and mount them in that desk then use that as the center of a lanparty setup.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy