Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sounds like my mobo is going out

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

Default Re: Sounds like my mobo is going out

Update:

The PC ran fine with the new power supply up until yesterday. I was in the middle of transferring files to my secondary drive from my external when my roommate tripped the breaker and we lost power. I started it back up, and whenever i tried to multitask (move files and use the internet) the PC would lock up. on restarts, half the time it wouldnt recognize the second SATA drive. it got to the point where the BIOS wouldn't even read that there was a connection. this morning as i was going into the BIOS, i noticed that the POST screen is reading my CPU speed at only 2.00ghz, and my ram at 667mhz, where before it was at 800+, and its still not reading my hard drive.

so, does it sound like my motherboard is the problem?
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Try resetting your BIOS to factory settings. If it's still not reading the CPU correctly then I'd say yeah, it probably got fried. It's not often that stuff dies on sudden power failure, but it does happen.

well, its not a sudden thing, more like a recurring problem over the past year that gets progressively worse, and this whole time we thought it was the power supply.

I had a very similar problem, it was frustrating, checked everything and it turned out to be a bad satA cable.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

well, i bought a new cable today, so i'll try that tonight and see how it goes.