Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ideas needed (cooling problem)

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: ideas needed (cooling problem)

Actually, Eclecticos posts have been very helpful and I would suggest taking his advice.

I think the fans are probably fine, but if you could find a stronger set that might help. Adding or redoing the thermal paste is a good idea as well. Sometimes they don't even include thermal paste, they just slap on this aluminum sticker type deal and call it good. You may want to get some higher quality paste and redo it. Dust could also be a problem, so make sure everything is nice and clean. But from the sounds of it, you apparently already knew that. As for the 120mm on the side of the case, that is your best suggestion so far in this entire thread hands down. That alone may very well fix your problem. I suggest Yate Loon or Noctua as far as good 120mm fans go. Heck, if you really wanted to, you could add in multiple side panel fans which would be akin to the likes of a Cooler Master Stacker.

I know its frustrating, but please refrain from letting it get the best of you. We're all trying to help here and we really don't have to if we don't want to. So show a bit of appreciation or just don't say anything. As far as everything else goes, we can't read your mind or envision the state of your setup or anything like that, especially without pictures. We aren't super heroes or psychics, we don't know what you know. I'd imagine that's why Eck posted what he did. Not to be patronizing, but simply because he doesn't know what you know. You can't blame him for that, can you? Also, its wise to be kind to the moderators.

Best of luck, hope you figure this problem out.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Not to be patronizing
    Too late

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    All graphics cards were brand new 2 months ago, # 4 fitted today doesn't even have a fan.

And I know what's required to cut the hole in the side! No offence, but your replies have been quite patronising. My questions have basically been asking for ideas of how to get an extra ~100cfm of effective throughflow, not 'i'm a total idiot with a computer full of dust'.
    Just offering helpful advise. I apologize if you were offended.
    Have a great day.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Most people here, even very knowledgeable, do actually ask for suggestions on how to cut a hole in a computer case the first time around. Electios didn't mean to offend you in any way, shape, or form.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

never mind

if a mod could close this thread, it would be great.

how to shut down a thread

p.s. thanks for the rep

I know it's been asked to close the thread, but I will try and help anyway.

Do you have a free pci slot at the top of the gpu? Usually there is a x1 or a blank there. You could add a pci slot fan there. They are a little noisy (not horribly) but can add a lot of airflow. If you have the free pci slots I'd add one at the top and one below your card stack. That might just get you the extra airflow you need.

Xoxide pci slot cooler $3.99

They don't look like much, but they have helped me get that extra bit of airflow on cases that only have one 80mm fan on the back, or worse, no fans.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    I know it's been asked to close the thread, but I will try and help anyway.

Do you have a free pci slot at the top of the gpu? Usually there is a x1 or a blank there. You could add a pci slot fan there. They are a little noisy (not horribly) but can add a lot of airflow. If you have the free pci slots I'd add one at the top and one below your card stack. That might just get you the extra airflow you need.

Xoxide pci slot cooler $3.99

They don't look like much, but they have helped me get that extra bit of airflow on cases that only have one 80mm fan on the back, or worse, no fans.
    This is a great idea! Sadly you came up with it after I'd already thought of it (I've oredered two :p), but yeah, it means I can get some outward airflow going above and below the quad stack of GPUs.

For anyone who cares, the solution I'm going for is:

1) Add large side fan (70cfm)
    2) Replace back fan with 30cfm fan
    3) Add two 15cfm PCI slot fans

Still results in extra airflow through the PSU, but will make sure that fan is mounted in the correct place to make sure it's cool air going through

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I just added a 120mm fan to the side panel of my case, so far has made a 5-10 ºF drop in temps at idle and under load

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    We get about ten days a year of hot weather in the north of the uk
    Where you at? Might be in a position to help you out if you get sick of the excess noise - and I might even have an Antec 900 going spare in the next couple of months...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey