Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera lcd mod?

Resident Alcoholic

Default Camera lcd mod?

Hi all!
    I just realised that I have a broken digital camera with a working lcd screen! I have removed the lcd screen and now all I need to do is find out how I can mod it into a computer? I know NOTHING about electronics, so it's going to be hard, but I realy, realy want to get it to work! Has anyone seen this done before or know where I can find a tutorial on small lcd screens? (it's 1.8" and colour)
    It would be GREAT if somebody could point me in the right direction because right now i have no idea! I have looked it up but could only find tutorials for big lcd moniter screens and psone screens
    Cheers
    H

Rankenphile

Default Re: Camera lcd mod?

which camera?

Resident Alcoholic

Its an olympus c-310 zoom

You're going to have to build a custom driver for that screen (and I don't mean an *.inf file) as it has no standard driver to adapt to use as a monitor. I think, I may be wrong, but it will be hard.

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by crenn
    You're going to have to build a custom driver for that screen (and I don't mean an *.inf file) as it has no standard driver to adapt to use as a monitor. I think, I may be wrong, but it will be hard.
    aaaah crap. It is going to be way too hard anyway as it is a TINY ribbon wire coming out of it and I have no idea how I would connect it to the computer in the first place anyway!

You wouldn't connect it to the computer. The LCD part you have is just the display, there needs to be a piece of harware that runs the display module. So, if you wanted to use it at all you would have to connect it to a µC that would drive the LCD (make it show pictures on it)

The µC would also interface with the PC, when crenn said driver he ment hardware driver.
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Resident Alcoholic

Aah so it would be like a conversion board or something? do they not make standard ones for screens of different sizes? or is mine too small?

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

The conversion boards are base on the model/manuf of the LCD. Two LCD of the same size my be wired up diffrent depending on the manf. If you really want to use it get the manf and model from it and call the guys @ EarthLCD, I've heard they're real Friendly and will give you more info then you can handle as well as the model and cost of a driver / converter board if they have one for it. But the driver boards that are listed on thier webaite are not cheap! Just a little heads up.

Good luck!

CrazyBillybob

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    The conversion boards are base on the model/manuf of the LCD. Two LCD of the same size my be wired up diffrent depending on the manf. If you really want to use it get the manf and model from it and call the guys @ EarthLCD, I've heard they're real Friendly and will give you more info then you can handle as well as the model and cost of a driver / converter board if they have one for it. But the driver boards that are listed on thier webaite are not cheap! Just a little heads up.

Good luck!

CrazyBillybob
    Thankyou VERY much for your help! I know already that it is casio, I just need to find out the model number now! Im sure though, that there will be some kinda badly made korean site with that level of detailed info about my camera! I shall search tomorrow!
    Peace
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Guttenaffe
    The µC would also interface with the PC, when crenn said driver he ment hardware driver.
    Yes, that is exactly what I meant, it's not imposible, but it will be hard and expensive....