Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Optimus keyboard info to be released Feb. 1st

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Optimus keyboard info to be released Feb. 1st

To me, it seems like the price of just about everything would have to go uber-cheap before they went to manufacture this thing. I mean, seperate screens for each individual key?

Although, if you wanted to, you could probably modify the drivers it uses to display an actual screen. You know, like displaying your monitor from the keyboard. That'd be pretty awesome.

I refuse to pay more than 50 bucks for a keyboard.
    I don't see a point to paying 100+ dollars because your keyboard glows. El wire is under 15 bucks and does the exact same thing. Besides, most people don't look at the keys when they type, so it's a waste of money.

As for the Optimus keyboard, I still have my reservations.
    Neat technology, but I don't see a purposeful benefit outweighing the cost.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

If you look at things like the Zboards and the custom assult pads (fang etc) this is just the next logical step. I'd be really interested in one of these, depending on the price, I also think that programers and tweekers alike would be interested in this, It allows them to customize the keys and display them for the user..... No more fumbling for the manual, or esc to the otions screen to remind you what keys you had maped where (my big problem when bounceing between BF series...I moved a default or Dice moves them on me!) Granted for the masses to embrace this it's going to have to come out at less then $100us, and drop to $75 mark with in the fist year, to get it to $50 or less you'll need other companies to make similar keyboards and start driving a price war (Microsoft and Logitech style!), but coming up from the day when all you had was an AT style keyboard (every mfg, looked the same), this makes me very excited!!! GO Progress!!!

Your humble local member of the old fart club,
    CrazyBillyBob

Overclocked

i have a Zboard, and i have to say that it has been a total waste of money. i hardly ever use the extra keysets as it's a pain learning to type all over again on the other keysets (they seem kinda off skew, enough to put you off anyways!) The best asset of the keyboard is the amount of keys you can press at the same time being upped from the 3 on a basic keyboard (sometimes less depending how much you spend) to the 7 that you can press on the Zboard. this makes climb maps on CS alot easier as you can duckjump/strafe all at the same time and still be typing a message at the same time!!

the other benefits are the same as most of the middle to decent keyboards on the market. as soon as funds permit, i'll be investing in a logitech G15 to complement my G5 mouse!

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by snickells View Post
    That Kb looks very usefull, But the price may put alot of people off.

mhm... I agree with u!!!

I like the idea that instead of cluttering my OS's interface with icons for all of the programs I use all the time, I could just throw them on my keyboard and have my favorite program open at the slightest movement of my finger.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
    If you're a big time graphic designer then you know all the keyboard shortcuts to PS anyway!
    I'm not even big-time and i know quite a bit of the shortcuts and all the ones I use, it's second nature by now.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Overclocked

hmm, i don't use icons on my work machine for regularly used things. instead i knocked together a little office-esque shortcut bar which is permanenly glued to the top of my screen. saves time and money!
    sorry about the sig size ppl!
    ==================================
    AMD x2 64 5000+ windsor
    asus crosshair
    asus x1950xtx
    2gb OCZ platinum
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I'm not even big-time and i know quite a bit of the shortcuts and all the ones I use, it's second nature by now.
    I've used Photoshop for years and have even taken classes in which we used the program extensively and I still only know half of them.

Quote Originally Posted by klingelton View Post
    i have a Zboard, and i have to say that it has been a total waste of money. i hardly ever use the extra keysets as it's a pain learning to type all over again on the other keysets...
    Haha, yeah, I have a ZBoard too, and I kinda feel the same. I mean, I spent 50 bucks for this keyboard, and then an extra 20 for the warcraft keyset. The only cool thing about it was either a: showing up to a LAN and ripping out the keyset, or b: pressing every emotion in wow withing .5 seconds. (it's also not the quietest board out there.)

I'm starting a website dedicated to reviewing computer parts, and I would be interested in getting a review for the mini 3 and then the optimus. The website is up, but still getting worked on. Just PM me for details.

I think I might get one of those optimus boards if it is $200, although I imagine it's going to be $400(USD). It would really be the last keyboard you will need, it can do anything!

I guess I better start saving now.