Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

Wow mach, incredible & exceptional detail, if thats 1 of the hidden details this mod is gonna have monster wow factor hehe , the scrolls look fantastic, I'd be scared stiff of dealing with acid thou and how to dispose it properly lol.

Bah, thought I found the bolts you were after, but checked your discription and I missed the essential brass detail, could only find stainless steel in your specification , I'll try a deeper search later but hopefully someone else might see this thread and be able to help. It's the fiddly hard to get bits that can hold a mod up.

I've been semi keeping away from here as I see some of the awesome mods progressing and wishing I could afford to start another myself lol, got a fair bit of spare sheet aluminium thou so I could at least practice and if I pull anything decent off I'll post it in the appropriate section .

Thanks Wecrookie and msmrx57!

@Waynio: Thanks! The acid isn't bad to work with; the electricity is a little exciting for me. As a rule, my hands go in my pockets and stay there while everything is running. Everything has to be switched off for me to touch it again. Folks etch aluminum the same way as the silver with good results.

Sorry, I've gone quiet for awhile. I've been trading worklog time for modding time. I've got a fair bit to update so I'll split this into 2 posts. Back to the story and update

---------

Some experts dismiss berserking as nothing more than a drunken rage. While alcohol has caused a variety of troubles for centuries, only one spirit has become synonymous with a murderous rage.

Oscar Wilde said, “After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.”
    The alcohol he described was Absinthe, the Green Fairy:

At the turn of the last century, it reportedly drove men and woman to an uncontrollable fury:

If he continues to take the deadly liquor, his body becomes a mere automaton and he obeys without hesitation the auto-suggestions of his mind, often killing, maiming, and destroying with savage glee, those nearest and dearest to him. - NY Times, September 21st 1905
    While the Vikings were no strangers to drink, nothing indicates that the Vikings knew of Thujone (the active chemical in Absinthe) or of an alcohol that would have caused their bersekerking battle rage. Perhaps then a less common substance?

-----------------
    The green fairy for this mod comes in the form of Mayhem's UV Green.

This is a custom dye from Mayhem@Bit-tech. A couple of drops and instant glow.

Although conventional wisdom says distilled water and silver should be the only thing in a loop, you got to admit this looks pretty good. More importantly, I need the UV to set off the pump window in the case but why tell you, when I can show you?

Because of the size of the case several things will be mounted or visible externally. I'm slowly working my way around the case fitting the externals like the reservoir, pump, flow indicator, proximity sensor, and hd activity gauge.

The wiring for the temperature sensor will pass through the case via the copper tube. To hide the hole going into the case, I need a mounting flange.

Using a brass grommet and a piece of hex stock…

with a little solder…

results in a mounting flange

I also test mounted the reservoir on the side of the case. Still not sure if the steel handle gets refinished. I really like the flaking paint but I haven't made the final decision on the color palette.

From the inside

Took a piece of brass, drilled and tapped it for 6/32" screws.

Working on the pump and flow meter mounting. They'll be mounted to the right side of the motherboard. It's tight but should work.

Looking inside of the case, with the mounting holes cut out. The failed cut that you see was from trying to fit the pump top...upside down. Luckily, it dawned on me before I cut completely through and it won't be visible once the case is back together.

DCC 3.1 and Ek pump top. If Eddy sees this, sorry but it needs some changes for this mod.

First the pump, the ears need to go.

Cut off and sanded down.

Pump apart

Painted with Sophisticated Finishes Blackened Bronze paint

Reassembled.

Sanded off the logos and tapped three mounting holes in the front of the pump

Still need to make some brass hex screws for the back. All the ones I have too short.

Test fitting the pump with a styrene. The styrene will be replaced with brass. The pump is mounted with 3 screws through the front of the pump top.

The flow indicator. It’s a Gems 142541 Paddle Wheel Flow Indicator 1/4" NPT. A little tap action and it's a G1/4 flow indicator.

Sanded about an 1/8" off the back side to make more room in the case. Love the brass.

Test fit. Still needs some clean up but that will wait for the final rings.

The rest of the screws don't actually hold anything.

Broken brass volt meter that I got from ebay.

Disasembly has got to be the best part of modding

I was hoping I could fix it. The needle and the internals are awesome. Unfortunately, no go.

First I need to work on the mounting. Parts: Tube, knurled lamp nut, finish washer, and a spindle gear from an antique radio.

Solder paste and a mini torch.

Test fit

Soldered and polished

The solder paste is handy but not the neatest stuff.

The soldered side will be inside the case and the gear side will stick into the meter.

The water loop exits from the case front on the right and the inlet is through the pump on the side. The brass nut on the left side is a PIR sensor to detect motion and the wiring behind is an Arduino and a VMusic2. The temperature and the PIR sensor are interfaced with the Arduino. The UV and ThinkM leds also interface with the Arduino...but that...is another update.

A big brassy thanks to my sponsors:

Bitspower

HardwareLabs

Next time: Pick your poison...

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Better and better, as usual. Are you still planning to use the voltmeter, for aesthetics somehow, even though it doesn't work? Think you could tie it in to a thermistor somehow? Maybe just use the housing and the needle, mounted on an existing analog temp gauge, hidden inside?

Just a thought, excellent work.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks! I'm planning on the voltmeter working. I just need to swap in another meter and I'll drive it with the arduino and LCD smartie. I've already got the meter and will hopefully have it working for the next update.

Great project Mach... you stun me in every one of your posts!!

I didn´t get where are you going to use the simulated absinthe? it´s going as the WC coolant?

Thanks Loki! Yes, you got it. Distilled water and the dye will be the liquid in the water cooling loop. It'll make more sense in future updates.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Preeeettyyy... I love the pump and flow meter showing through the front; it would be awesome to have UV ilumination just in those two parts, from hidden, internal LEDs, so it looks like the liquid is just glowing for no apparent reason

Thanks x88x!. You're way ahead of me. There will be UV leds in the pump but not the flow indicator. The flow indicator is sealed without a good way to insert the leds.