Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Current Gaming VidCard

Fresh Paint

Default Best Current Gaming VidCard

What's the best bang for the buck in current video cards?

I've been aiming to make a ~$1k gaming system using an i7 and the best gaming card I can manage, to run current games at max settings. I was going to go for one of these:

PNY GeForce GTX 260 $145 - Tigerdirect
    or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 $135 - Newegg
    or MSI Radeon 4890 1gb $210 - Newegg

What do you guys think?

<3
    Sarra

Default Re: Best Current Gaming VidCard

the 4890 beats the 260 and the 4870 in all the benchmarks i've seen
    but don't get MSI, their tech support is crap, get HIS or Sapphire

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I'd say bang for the buck, the Sapphire 4870. Benchmarks are one thing, but I really don't think you would see nearly enough of a performance difference in real-world use to justify $75 more. What else can you buy for this machine with that $75?

I've got the 4870 and it is excellent. (I also agree about the brand, go with Sapphire)
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

The only trouble I've had with Sapphire was their occasional lack of judgment regarding poor-quality reference coolers, but with proper selection you can avoid that. I've heard only good things about their support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I'd say bang for the buck, the Sapphire 4870. Benchmarks are one thing, but I really don't think you would see nearly enough of a performance difference in real-world use to justify $75 more. What else can you buy for this machine with that $75?

I've got the 4870 and it is excellent. (I also agree about the brand, go with Sapphire)
    the 4890 is worth it, because it can OC insanely, much more than even the ice-q 4870

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apbrit2009 View Post
    the 4890 is worth it, because it can OC insanely, much more than even the ice-q 4870
    Ok, I'll concede that. If you're into overclocking it may be worth an extra $75 to you. I'm not.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

I would have to agree with everyone above me, Get either the 4870 or the 4890.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    What else can you buy for this machine with that $75?
    Lots and lots of fans. haha

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Best bang-for-the-buck, I'm gonna stick with the 4870 and GTX260, but if it fits into the budget then, yeah, go ahead for the 4890.

That being said, what res monitor are you gonna be gaming on? If you're running anything 1680x1050/1600x1200 or smaller, then there's really no point in going higher than the GTX260/4870, imo. I have a GTX260, pushing dual 1680x1050 panels (the third panel is on my onboard 9400) and I have yet to find something that I can't push the settings all the way up and still get great framerates. Well, except for GTA4...but that's another discussion... *grumble*stupid artificial limiters*grumble*

Well, with the DX11 cards coming out within two months (Well, I should specify ATI cards as Nvidia won't have DX11 volume until Q1 2010), I'd hold off any graphics card upgrades if you can wait. Otherwise I'd go with the best bang for your buck card, which of the three the 4870 would be the one to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol