Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cases

Anodized

Smile cases

I'm going to start building a new computer, and i was wondering what are some of your favorite cases and why? i cant really decide on a case i want, but i dont want to really spend over $100 on a case from newegg.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: cases

The best case is a custom built one. Other than that, for under a hundred bones either the quality is too low or it looks like transformer droppings. But here are some of my favorite cases. Apparently I have a thing for black, aluminum, quality and empty wallets. lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchResult=True
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I disagree, there are good cases to be had for under $100, but it really depends on your taste. Xoxide has quite a few that I like, the Apevia X-Discovery, the Thermaltake Lanbox Lite, the Apevia X-Qpack, the Raidmax Smilodon (looks good and easy to work with but a bit on the flimsy side), the Enermax Phoenix Neo (I had the original Phoenix and loved it, very solid well-bult case), the AeroCool M40... There are good ones to be had. The X-Discovery, the Smilodon and the M40 have all been reviewed here on TBCS if you want more info on them. The Enermax Uber Chakra full tower case is currently on sale there for $85.

edit - I do like just about all the ones on Zephik's list but wouldn't pay those prices for them.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Anodized

i was looking at the 900 and the Smilodon. i love the Smilodons look but there isnt alot to do modding wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster-Addict23 View Post
    i love the Smilodons look but there isnt alot to do modding wise.
    No, if you're looking to buy one to mod that's not the way to go. Either of the Enermax cases I listed offer a fairly blank canvas and are of very good quality (assuming they stuck to the build quality they had in the original Phoenix). The large side hole for the fan could make an interesting window. Also, it seems the Uber Chakra is no longer on sale, that was a rebate deal anyway. Still only slightly over your $100 mark. There are some good pics of the Phoenix on Newegg, I had some modding plans when I bought mine but they didn't pan out. Not the case, just me, I decided to build one instead.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I'd say either go with the Antec Nine Hundred or if you want to do some serious long term modding, just build your own. We have plenty of examples around here to get some ideas rolling around of what you want and how to build it. But anyways, if you want to do some light modding with a pre-modded case, I'd say go for the Nine Hundred. You could paint both the inside and outside, add lighting effects, cut your own window, etc. The Smilodon has everything pretty much already covered, it even comes in multiple colors if you want. It all just depends on what you want/want to do.

I still say the best case is a scratch made one though. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy.

Another idea would be to do a "Monster" edition Antec Nine Hundred. Now that would be pretty cool! Do claw marks for the window, add green lighting, maybe paint the perforated metal green? etc etc. (or whatever monster color is out there, but green is the original so...)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have the Cooler Master Stacker 830. I love it! My parents, who are big into tech but not into building computers, were really impressed with it (despite its size) and asked me why in the world I am building a new case. It's the one case I promised myself I would never take a dremel to, and there is absolutely no need. It's near perfect.

Anodized

Zephik I was thinking about the Monster themed 900 =].

Anodized

think i have decided on a case =]
    Lian Li PC-A17B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112164

It certainly is a blank canvas. Looks like a good choice.