Thread: Possible case problem?

Fresh Paint

Default Possible case problem?

Hi,

I'm in the process of helping my dad build a Modded PC. He decided to build the case his self instead of modding an existing one.

Thing is the components all run when installed in a standard case but when i try installing them in my dads, it wont boot. There is no display, no beep codes, nothing. The fan on the CPU and the PSU will only work if the 12V 4 pin connector is not in. I figured maybe it was shorting somewhere.

Has anyone any ideas either why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Possible case problem?

My guess, and it is a guess, is that you do have a short - the 12v issue tends to point to the solder points on the back of that connector - are you using some kind of salvaged motherboard tray or did you make something yourself for the motherboard? You need to be 100% sure that there is clearance over the entire back of the board.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Fresh Paint

Cheers for that. The tray was taken out of another case, so i shouldn't have thought that would be the problem, but you never know.

I'll have a proper check when i can get time and if all else fails, my big trusty roll of insulation tape should help.

Thanks again

Check there isn't an unused MOBO standoff from the old setup shorting the board.

CB

Fresh Paint

yeah, i checked the stand-offs, the only ones there are those that are meant to be