Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Clockwork vII

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default New Parts!

Just a small parts update (and to keep this worklog from drowning in page 5 or 6 or wherever it had sunk to)...

During the recent demise of Xoxide I scored a couple of great deals for this build. I'll be replacing the Scythe Musashi air coolers on my HD4870 cards with Swiftech MCW60 waterblocks.

This obviously frees up a LOT of room, and also allows me the space to use better ramsinks than the aluminum that came with the Musashi.

I also scored a 1000-watt modular PSU!

I've also made a minor design modification. I'm going to chop up the motherboard tray I have a little bit and mount the new PSU on the bottom of the case, sliding the motherboard up several inches. This will not only free up a lot of room on the bottom, but it will make power routing easier, I think.

This project isn't dead, it's just sleeping, as I have a lot of other stuff going on right now. Stay tuned, more news as it happens.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 09-21-2009 at 05:08 AM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Project Clockwork vII

sweet. cant wait to see this going again
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I use an MCW-60 to cool my 8800GTX, it's a fantastic block.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Nice project espacially all those little wheels are sick !

Default And the work goes on....

I finally got some of the corners made for it today. I love acrylic, it's one of the most versatile materials I've ever worked with. I made these corners out of some 1/8" sheet acrylic I had left over from some old storm windows.

The corners I had in mind needed to be more than 1/8" thick, so I doubled them up and glued them together. Then cut four sets of material: four squares, four rectangles matching the squares on one side, then four more squares matching the shorter side of the rectangles. I put these together to form the corners of the case:

These will be the base corners, I have to make four more for the top, but that can wait. I also finally got ahold of some angle iron to use for the edges. I don't have enough yet for all the edges, but when you put together what I have it looks like it's taking shape!! I don't have the angle iron painted yet, but I took some pics to show how it will look. (The finished product should look exactly like the corners.)

You can tell in the pics that the back panel isn't stained, I built a new one so I could cut the hole for the PSU now that it will be mounted on the bottom. Got that hole cut and the hole for the fan on the bottom also. I still have to cut holes for the I/O plate, the secondary 110 connection (for the water pump and possibly the lighting - still deciding whether to use LED lights or 110 lights with a dimmer switch), and the fan, though I haven't decided how I'm going to do the radiator yet so that will have to wait.

Opinions on the corner/angle iron appearance?
    Last edited by blueonblack; 10-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Looking awesome. That angle iron almost doesn't need to be painted. Great job on the corners they look incredible. This one just keeps getting better and better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Man that looks cool as he,... i wish i had that vision man . Great job i will take one in cherrry lol . +rep

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    That angle iron almost doesn't need to be painted.

That thought had crossed my mind, actually. I was planning to make all the "metal" look the same, but this does have a nice contrast. Anyone else have an opinion on leaving the angle iron as is?

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

The angle metal looks good as is. But I'm sure it will look good if you change it as you originally planned as well.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lookin awesome man! cant wait to see more progress