Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thread: Project Clockwork vII

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Project Clockwork vII

I agree, but someone *did* get to enjoy it. I enjoyed it a great deal, as did those who followed this worklog, or so I'd like to think. In fact, I enjoyed it well enough not to want to finish it anything less than all the way. All the time and money weren't wasted if the time was enjoyed and things were learned along the way.

You'll see elements of this case in the next one, and the next one will go a lot more smoothly (and hopefully get finished) for what I learned on this one. Yes, it's a shame it won't see completion, but I don't regret the doing for a minute.

For a direct answer to your question, if I had to guess (and that's all it would be), I'd have to say to finish it right would take at least another 50 hours of work and another $200-$300. Unfortunately, by the time I have either of those available to me, the design will have changed in my head yet again. No, this one was a lot of fun but I need to stop where I'm at.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Well consider me pre-subbed to your next one and good luck in advance! What's happened to the geared assembly you had on top of the old case? I loved that, would be nice to see it used in the future. But then I liked most of it to be honest so roll on the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Well consider me pre-subbed to your next one and good luck in advance!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    What's happened to the geared assembly you had on top of the old case?
    That is with the other parts at the moment but I may salvage it. That was a righteous pain the *$$ to get right, and being kind of a self-contained element I may well use it in the next one. We'll see.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    That was a righteous pain the *$$ to get right
    Well you did get it right, definitely! It looks awesome, definitely hold onto it for the future if you can. I'm sure sooner or later it'll find a perfect home

Ah man, say it ain't so... I really liked where this was going.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Ah man, say it ain't so... I really liked where this was going.
    Yeah Jon, 'fraid it's so. I loved where it was going too, but it was never going to get there.

You'll like where the next one goes even more.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Necro bump. Your working on another project now. Any plans to resume this? I have questions about it.

Sorry, but no. This one is done for. Ask any questions you like though.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

What did you do with all the old parts?
    What rust paint did you use? (I reread but didn't see it)
    Where did you get the gears?

The parts are in a box in my new basement workshop.

The rust paint was a 6- or 7-step process that started with a product that is evidently not available any more: American Accents faux rust. The process is described briefly on page 7, post #64.

I'm sure it could be duplicated without the American Accents kit, it provided the flat rust-red bottom coat but that could be found in a different paint. The biggest advantage was the texture. It had really fine grit in it that made the parts even feel like rust. Combine that with the Modern Masters Metal Effects top coat and they even smelled like it.

The gears were sourced from two places. The brass gears came out of clocks I scavenged from local flea markets and one movement I got from a local clock shop. The plastic gears are Lego Technics and can be had by the piece or by the lot at bricklink.com. You can buy just about any Lego piece ever made there, one or a hundred at a time.