Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major help required: Setting up a home studio

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Major help required: Setting up a home studio

Quote Originally Posted by HackSore View Post
    Try cubase or nuendo for recording if you can, pretty rugged programs.

We would like to try another program but we're flat broke, so other programs aren't really an option right now. Besides a million and one people use Ableton and have no problems, how could it be so popular if we're having so many problems with it?

As for the mic'd amp issue, you dont need an amp to be particularly loud to get a sweet sound for recording, cranking it up too much will definitely create clipping and other unwanted distortion.

One of the things is we can't turn down the Guitar amp because we use its high levels for natural distortion (it sounds a million times better than a distortion pedal).

Also, if you are running a DI or a mic into a mixer, then out into the recording device, try just DI'ing or mic'ing straight into the recording device and eq'ing within the program, see if it makes a noticable difference.

What has also jumped into my mind...you say you are using a generic usb recording device? do you have a soundcard/onboard sound in the system as well? as if you do its possible there is some sort of conflict going on.
    If you have a soundcard try taking it out or disabling it in hardware profiles and see if it helps.

We'll have to try that, I could see that being the problem.

If none of these things help, use a diagnostics tool to check your hardware components, as a small fault could cause big problems with recording, especially if its a hard drive issue.
    Thanks for the help, +rep

-Indybird

Audacity is free, and awesome.

I agree that overdriving an amp sounds way better than a pedal. If you are running the Vox AC30, then an attenuator might be the way to go.

+1 on checking for audio conflicts.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Audacity is free, and awesome.

I tried Audacity, but I felt like it didn't have the flexibility we needed. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I agree that overdriving an amp sounds way better than a pedal. If you are running the Vox AC30, then an attenuator might be the way to go.

Actually we are running one of these:

A Vox AC4TV, which has the built in attenuator.

+1 on checking for audio conflicts.
    Definitely going to try that.
    -Indybird

Ooooo... AC4TV's sound NIIIIIIIIICE!!!

I'm looking at a Blackheart Little Giant for my next amp. It's many $$$ away though..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    We would like to try another program but we're flat broke, so other programs aren't really an option right now. Besides a million and one people use Ableton and have no problems, how could it be so popular if we're having so many problems with it?

Im not saying ableton isnt up to the job, or that the problems are commonplace, i just wouldnt trust it for live recording. Thats just my personal stance though, and i must admit i have only played around with it a little. It seems good for sampling and synthing and stuff, but i dont think i would use it for lengthy instrument recordings. And i was just recommending the stienberg stuff for future reference really!

One of the things is we can't turn down the Guitar amp because we use its high levels for natural distortion (it sounds a million times better than a distortion pedal).

Fair enough, personal preference i guess. Mine being a decent distortion pedal on a low volume will sound killer, where as whacking the amp up too loud just looses a lot of the warmth. Guess it depends on what kind of equipment you are running. Anyway im a drummer first and foremost, so i guess you get to ignore my opinion on anything guitar related! haha!
    And as luke suggested, give audacity a try, just to see if you experience the same problems. Because if you do, its obviously a hardware issue, and if you dont, its software related.

Wow. That's all I have to say.

...Just kidding. But seriously; it is amazing how nice some people are. So my friend's father's son runs a hardcore home recording studio. We've never met this guy before, but here's how it went:
    My friend gets a hold of this guy asking if he would come inspect our studio and make sure we are doing everything right. This guy comes over helps us reconfigure our microphone setup and answer a whole ton of questions for an hour or so. After that we go over to his recording studio (which was insane btw). There we continue our discussions, and while we are on the subject of studio monitors, he recalls that we don't have any. So mid conversation he goes into his back room and comes back with a pair of these:

He gave us a pair of M-Audio SP-5B's for free. Free. Now I don't know much about studio monitors, but I do know that average pair runs about $150-180. We just met him today, and he gives us free studio monitors. So anyway after all your pointers, all of his pointers and his generosity I think we finally have a fairly legit recording studio going. I'll give you guys a link to our myspace page once we get our recordings up and done.

-Indybird

Excellent! Looking forward to some recordings!

I'll be doing some recording tonight too, so maybe we can start a new thread with some of the results! Plug your own band!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/