Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Liquidation

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project: Liquidation

Sorry I ahven't updated, been busy with my job and my car.

About that, I put my newly finished car into a ditch last night. Road was slick, all four tires lost traction and I went straight into the ditch. I was dam lucky to walk away. Had I started sliding a secodn before I did, I'd have hit a big ass oak tree...

Fresh Paint

Glad you walked away from it... sorry to hear about the car.
    .: DeMaxx :.

ATX Mental Case

Thankfully there's not too much damage to the car. Needs a few replacement parts. Should be back on the road in a few days, but its still really disheartening...

DANG!!! be careful!!! lol thank god you're still alive... i wanna see this mod completed!

ATX Mental Case

Yeah, unfortunately its going to ahve to take more of a back seat than I had originally planned. Now that I have another $600 I wasn't planning on spending...

ATX Mental Case

Copied and Pasted from www.rootcult.com A security information website that is in it's infancy and could use the support of users who know their stuff, or newbies who are just starting to get the swing of things.

Sorry for not updating, My camera has been a PITA these last two days giving me this little bitch about "Card Error" w/e, let's get back to it...

This last Saturday, my dad and I built a work bench area in my room, which I rearranged for the occasion. This will give me a new area to screw with, plus alot more storage space than a comfy bed could ever offer me.

BTW, that's an 8ft ceiling, with about 12"-14" of space at the top.

So, I got crackin' on my cool little PSU. I decided that I'm going to reuse the one that came with the case originally because of it's compact size and mild power output. I'm going top put it here:

This will make for additional coolness, but also can make routing the wiring much easier in terms of hiding.

First thing I did was examine the outside of the PSU carefully to figure out what exactly I wanted to do and then finally decided to do some trimming to make way for a window and new LED fan.

Next, I had to bend the heatsinks inside of the PSU so that they would clear the new fan.

Once both sets of heatsinks were bent, it formed a kind of cage over the board. Kind of cool actually, just wish that I could have polished the heatsinks... That would have been nice...

Lastly, I cut out a recession that was in the top panel of the PSU. Just big enough for the fan too.

And now, it all lights up.

Lastly, where would I be without the amzing help of these two:

Woody

Patty

They are brother and sister prom the same litter. Got Woody as a pup almost 12 years ago, and Patty a year later. Great dogs. Mellow as hell too, cept for when the phone rings, then Woddy goes nuts for some odd reason...

Found out a few weeks ago that Patty (seen above for those who missed it) has cancer and probably won't be around six months from now. I'm going to be a hopeless wreck when it happens too, so don't be surprised if I dissappear for a while...

Man.. Im sorry to hear about Patty.. We just lost a Dalamation that we got as a pup and died at 18. I know how much of a part of the family they are. Especially since she was older then 2 of my kids. Hang in there.

BTW.. nice work on the PSU...

ATX Mental Case

Thanks, it looks really nice when I set it in the case, like it was meant to be there. I'm going ot be running a few errands tommorrow and am going to see if I can gather the parts that I need for the wiring job for the PSU.

Hey, don't know if you got my pm or not, but it looks like you have all of this sorted out. Sorry to hear about Patty man.

A suggestion: That LED fan looks cool, but that plan grey paintjob really ruins the effect. If you're going to show it off, why not give it a lick of paint? It would look pretty sweet in there.

Also, EVERYONE PLEASE HEED MY WARNING!

If you're going to do a PSU mod of ANY kind, for the love of God, Budha and Spongebob, make sure you Earth your damn case! If you don't know how, then don't touch your PSU in any way,shape, or form till you know exactly what that means!

That wasn't directed at you AceX, just to anyone you might inspire.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

Lol, I could only hope to inspire.

Yes, Dave is right. The hole time I was working on this piece, I was grounded and so was the case. This is not something that you just go and do because you feel like it. You have to have a little know-how when it comes to doing things safely.

I am going to paint it, but I'm not sure what color yet, so I just left it bare for now. I'm going to try and use some color shifting paints if I can find the right ones (there's one that goes between silver and blue; or maybe it's white and blue) that I can't seem to find in rattle can form. I definitely don't want to shell out almost $100 for a pint of paint either...

I'm going to be cutting a hole in the faceplate in the next few days and fitting a fan to it, so that should be fun. I also have a USB/Firewire/Speaker panel for the front that I need to find a place for. Problem is that the face, in most areas, is slightly curved, whereas my panel that I purchased is flat.

That's all for now, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.