Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Liquidation

ATX Mental Case

Default Project: Liquidation

Liquidation

OK, so this is the beginning of the project. As you can tell from the name, liquid is obviously involved. Lots of it too. It will have alot of very custom pieces, including a completely custom wiring harness. Also, there will be a water fall in this baby. That's right, I said a water fall; inside of a computer...

So, I started with a super cheapo case from Fry's. Cost $35 and came with a 380watt PSU (Power supply unit). Not bad, but not good enough.

My first order of business, as usual, was to strip the case to bare nothingness. Took a whole of 5 minutes and it gave me a much better idea of what I am working with.

The next order of business was to get a good PSU. I found this one @ Fry's for about $100. A steep price, but It's absolutely perfect for what I need.

It's made buy "Ultra" and is a very nice piece. You can select which wires you want to use, which, in the end, will make for a MUCH cleaner setup. As stated before, I will be making all of my own wiring for this system, but for now, I'm going to use the assortment of wires that came with the unit. They include several length 4-pin molex connectors, PCI-E power cables, a 24-pin mobo (motherboard) connection, and a 4-pin mobo connection.

I also picked up a few fun little parts for the project:

From the top left:

A new Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R80 water cooling system for AMD Socket 754 CPU. $80

A 3.5" bay USB2.0, firewire, and audio connection box. $15

Stainless steel brake line (3/8") from NAPA. $5

PCI Slot covers (black.) $5

Vantec copper RAM heatspreader. (A very nice pice also). $8

I also took some shots of my "workspace." Oh the carnage...

Next, I mached up the CD-ROM drive. I do this every time to make sure that I get the proper wire lengths and also to take measurements for cutting up the metal inside the case.

There's about 2" of space between the PSU and CD drive.

Ok, I got the parts mached up for now. This was @ 1am this morning. Now that I look back on it, that was a BAD idea, considering I have to be at work at 11am and I haven't gotten a whole lot of sleep this entire week...

As these pics were taken, the PSU started making a strange ticking sound. Come to find out, the fan motor is bad, so now I got to go back to Fry's and exchange that bitch...

More to come as I can get it to you guys.

Default Re: Project: Liquidation

Another reason the Fan could be ticking, is if the fan doesn't have enough space to spin... I've had it happen once....... To make sure, unplug the radiator unit from the case and start it up. If the fan still ticks, then it's a fan problem.

your not gonna paint the case!?!?

It is not done yet. He is just beginning, doing the dry fit, etc.

Think about it...there's no video card, the case is fugly as hell, and there are two drive bay covers popped off. This is AceX....he'll do it, just be patient!

ATX Mental Case

Looks good m8. If you want more room why not mount the fan on the outside and the rad inside and you will have more room over the CPU. You are also using a loud fan so maybe get a duct the allows you to use a 120mm fan on 80mm hole. This way you get some CFM as the 80mm loud fan with less noise.

I can't wait to see how this project turns out! I just noticed that your from sacramento...lol...so am I hehe Fry's is a HUGE store with a large Computer Component section...lol been there multiple times

ATX Mental Case

Sweet! What part of Sacto you from?

This case is NOWHERE NEAR the finished product, that's for sure. I'm going to take a month or better for this project. This si something that I am doing on the side when I'm not working on my car.

I returned the PSU. Turns out it was infact a bad fan motor. I got a new one and now the case runs quieter than any I've ever heard... If you turn the fan for the radiator up all the way, it gets loud, but that's to be expected.

The components inside of the case right now are purely for mach-up purposes and will be replaced with new components later on. For now, they will do nicely.

I started creating the wiring. I did a quick and dirty on a CD-ROM power cable and plugged it in. I almost lit my house on fire... Sparks shot out from the jumpers in the rear of the drive... That's bad right? My guess is that it's because the drive is so old. It's got to be going on 8 years or so.

I'm going to spend the next two weeks or so teaching ymself how to properly make 4-pin Molex wire assemblies. I will post up a little "how-to" of this process, which is nowhere near as easy as it sounds.

Till my next pics,

AceX

lol...i know how you feel about returning something to fry's...lol its a pain in the @$$ lol...sometimes i wonder if the people there actually know what they are talking about lol...anyways i'm from the Citrus Heights area, kind of near the Greenback Century 16 Theaters! lol and which part are you from?

anyways back on topic lol...sparks...house almost on fire...SAFETY!!!!! lol and that "how-to" sounds great! can't wait for the next update!

hxcguitarist

ATX Mental Case

I hail from the Natomas area, right next to Arco Arena. I used to go to school right next to where you live. If you're ever in Natomas, check out the In-N-Out Burger. I might be working.

Speaking of which, just got back from work with good news. My schedule is up! I have an extra day off this week, so that means that I can get a little more work done on this project. I think I'll strip the chasis of it's paint and maybe start some bondo work... Wish I had a gas torch so I could braze it. Then again, it is very thin metal...

cool! inNout burger mmmmmmmmmm really good stuff