Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raptor gets what - Windows Experience?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Raptor gets what - Windows Experience?

I did have to do the firmware update on both of mine. It was a pretty straight-forward process, well documented on OCZ's website/forums. I think it took about 4-5 minutes each. As for Windows tweaks, I'm using the Windows 7 RC, so I didn't really have to do much at all. Just disable the auto-defrag (pretty sure 7 did this by itself, but I wanted to make sure it was off), hibernation, and virtual memory. The one more involved thing I ended up having to do was moving my FireFox profile and cache onto a RAMdisk, as I detailed here. I had constant pausing problems, but only with FF, not with everything like has been mentioned for SSDs using the JMicron controller. Now that I have stuff moved over (profile made the biggest difference), FF is crazy fast and snappy, and it never pauses anymore

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I think I'll keep my crappy 74GB one for now. I've spent over $300 the past week on a new video card and RAM already
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

My Windows score dropped from 5.6 on my Raptor to 5.5! Does that mean it's dying?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I guess you could use a program to check the SMART data. Try a defrag?

If you have enough RAM, you could also disable virtual memory.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Overclocked

I have installed intalled it on a wd blue 500gig drive it got5.9 now to get over 5.9 you need a ssd.. the velocrapter 300 gig only got 5.9 but the ssd drive on my netbook with a ssd hardrive I bought 64 gig ocz got 6.9 and is way faster.. all normal hardrives the score is set to 5.9 max even if you raid..

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I think I'll keep my crappy 74GB one for now. I've spent over $300 the past week on a new video card and RAM already
    get a wd black 1tb or 640 if you want speed kicks the rapters but.. and you get size..

Overclocked

Default Re: Raptor get's what - Windows Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    I can compare a 300GB VelociRaptor, 1TB Caviar Black, and 250GB Caviar Raid Edition with Windows 7 RC on Friday.

I'm using the 250GB right now and it gets a 5.5 in Windows 7. The other two I can check on Friday (well, maybe tomorrow night, we'll see). The 1TB drive just came today, I love FedEx they always deliver a day early .
    all 5.9... been there done that.. even with the full thing its still 5.9