Thread: Backlighting glow-in-the-dark spraypaint with EL wire

Default Backlighting glow-in-the-dark spraypaint with EL wire

A thought occurred to me the other day when looking at old RPG art. That thought was "Hey, it'd be pretty cool to do a Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne themed mod where the case has glowing lines that resemble the character's tattoos."

I started thinking about how to achieve this and I wondered if it was possible to cut a shape out of the side case panel, cut plexiglas to the correct shape and fit it in the panel opening, spray it with glow-in-the-dark paint, and then run green EL wire on the underside so it would glow outward. Bonus: Keeps glowing a while after PC is powered off, freaks out housemates.

My thinking is "As a kid, it was always 'hold glow-in-the-dark widget up to the light to charge it and then watch it glow.' If GITD paint is applied to transparent material like plexiglas, and held to a constant light source, it should keep glowing as long as the light source is active. Transparent material allows light from source to shine through and make contact with GITD paint." My only worry is that GITD paint would only respond to UV-spectrum light and thus necessitate the use of an inside-mounted blacklight (cold-cathode maybe?) instead of wire.

Would this work? Is GITD paint reactive to only UV light or would EL wire serve to light it up and provide a uniform luminescence after enough "charge time"? Or would the paint be too thick and just block out the green light?

For reference, a picture of the inspiration for this case:
    http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/H...=Hitoshura-jpg
    The tats are actually black with green outlines (for some reason I recalled them as solid green) so I suppose black paint edged with green EL wire would work, but now that I thought of the EL-driven GITD-paint idea, I'd kinda like to know if it would work.

Default Re: Backlighting glow-in-the-dark spraypaint with EL wire

EL wire just doesn't throw enough light to do anything but light itself. I will be experimenting with IV reactive paint and various lights for a Tron themed case soon. If you do any experiments, post them here.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Default Re: Backlighting glow-in-the-dark spraypaint with EL wire

I found some really nice UV reactive white and blue paint on EBay and ordered up a pot of each. So far experimenting with the UV cold cathodes I purchased I'm unimpressed with their light output. Might have got a bad set of cathodes. They just don't seem to be glowing very well. I'm now looking to order up a bag of 500 UV LEDs off EBay as soon as I get the money together. That should enable me to put the UV lighting exactly where it's needed, and in many more places than a CC can go. Will post up some results when I've got something appropriately cool to show.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin