Thread: custom window fan opening trim out question

Fresh Paint

Default custom window fan opening trim out question

I recently bought this case to house a PC for my daughter.
    She likes blue, she likes shiny, she likes to look at the guts of mine when I have it op, and she lights "pretty lights".
    I am going to replace the window with a different one (also clear) and mount a 120mm LED fan in it.
    I like the way that its currently trimmed out, and would like to find something similar to trim it with.
    This is what the current window/fan trim looks like:

Would something like this work, or would it be too heavy or thick?

Thanks!

Fresh Paint

Default Re: custom window fan opening trim out question

anyone?

If you like the look of it I'd say go for it. I wouldn't think thickness or weight should be a problem unless you used very thin plexi for the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I agree, that kit should do just fine assuming your plexi isn't too thin.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Ok project done.

Here is the new window mounted in the side pannel with the fan and grill installed:

Here is the backside of it.

I have heard a lot of negative things about Antec fans, but I have been running them in my p182 for 2+ years without issue. (so far) Also this fan has 3 different color LED's (little girls love bling ) and was available locally for what it would have cost ot buy it online+ shipping.
    I am also going to be replacing the fan in the rear of the case with one of these...
    It went pretty well but the painters tape left some sticky spots on the lexan.

Also I must say that the little triangle tab thingies, were a major pain in the ass in making the new window (they have a post on the back that goes through the case and window for the screw to go in; the post are square) and would have been replaced by something else except that my wife likes the look (??) and thinks our daughter will too. Since the PC is for our daughter...

I went over to my dad's to work as he has a nice shop (with AC!) and lots and lots of good tools for this. (his hobbies are wood working and clock repair)
    I used a jigsaw with a 24tooth/inch metal cutting blade and it did a very nice job. The cut "wobbles" a little but it doesn't show so all is good. Next time I will use scrap wood to make a rip fence to keep it straight.

The hole was cut with a nifty adjustable hole saw dad has, using his drill press. The down side of this hole saw is that it cuts a beveled edge (could be good too) so I used a sanding drum on a Dremmel to smooth it out.

Thanks to Bill @ mnpctech for his quick response to emailed questions and advice on choosing lexan over plexi for the window!